Thread: Help with 10" Rockwell Lathe ?

Default Help with 10" Rockwell Lathe ?

Hello folk's, I was hoping any of you would know the "Cross reference" for fitting a steady rest on a Rockwell 10" Lathe. The Collets are some what odd-ball, But I've been able to find them. However I have yet to see anyone on flea-bay or the like list an item that fits on the ways. I see that alot of the Atlas and Craftsman item are compatable. Is there something I missed? I'd like to know where one could find info as to what might fit. I have yet to see any items listed for my lathe. Did I get a good price on this unit due to the fact it is no longer supported ? Thank's in advance.

Hoof

A friend of mine with a Rockwell lathe made one of these: http://www.statecollegecentral.com/m...the/MLA-9.html
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Hoof,, SGW offered very good advice. Ebay center steadys bring more money than the kit and a used one probably would need more machining and adapting anyhow. JIM
    jim

I have a Standard Modern 1120 and looked for ages on Ebay for one that could be adapted - always too expensive for me.

So I went the MLA route and am happy with the results. As you can see I had to modify it anyway as the bedways on my lathe are too wide for the casting.

It took me longer to complete than I had figured but it may be just old age creeping up!

Geoff

P.S. Since the photo was taken I have added brass tips to the fingers. This was an option in the plans.

Geoff

Default steady

My South bend came without one as I rescued it from a burned building. Friend had some 1" aluminum plate and made one out of that.
    The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

My lathe didn't come with a follow rest so I made my own and I was a total newbie. You have the lathe so that would be a good project for you.

Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

tools4less (on ebay and off) has very nice ones some based on the SB 10L telescopic steady, and for a price that makes even adapting a cheap "score" not really worth it. He makes a bolt on for the 11" Rockwell, but you could get one of the 10 or 11 Logans for a 10" Rockwell. The only "adaptation" needed would be to machine the already provided plates to fit the Rockwell bed.

You might also check Plaza Machinery www.plazamachinery.com and see if Joe has anything.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Default Thanks for the Help.

Well you people have given me something to start with. I thank you all for your time. The kit MLA9 looks like my choice. After it's finnished I'll post some pictures. The shop is just a hobbie so it wouldn't be this week, that's for sure. All the kits with the castings look like a lot of fun. Joe at Plaza machienery does not have any steady rests available at the moment but it';s also a new lead. Again much appeciated.

Hoof