Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: cad/cam, what are you guys using?

Default cad/cam, what are you guys using?

I have been using Acad autodesk '06 for a few years now, and have gotten fairly good with it, both for 2d and 3d modeling. From reading my mach3 manual again, a cam program or post processor is highly recommended. So, what software are you guys using? Preferably affordably priced. I haven't looked at the included software with mach3, haven't had time yet. I know I saw a lot of discussion in a thread a while back, but I am not turning it up. I could have sworn it was one of Evan's threads, but I am not seeing it. If you have the link, that is fine by me too.

Anyhow, I would like to be able to do 3d, or is it 2.5d, I am not really sure what the heck the difference is.

Tell me what you all recommend.

Thanks,
    Jason

Rhino3D for CAD, OneCNC for CAM. That latter is nice, but not cheap. I talked them into a student discount, and it still wasn't cheap. But it is a nice package.

Cheers,

BW
    ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

acad and solidworks for cad and featurecam for cad/cam, nothing cheap though. You might try searching thru a few of Evans threads from this year, I think he is using cambam now, but not positive.

these two links will give you a better idea of what the differance between 2.5d and 3d is

http://www.featurecam.com/general/so...turemill2d.asp
    http://www.featurecam.com/general/so...turemill3d.asp
    FuQ

Thanks guys, I will keep researching today, I was out of time last night, and thought you all might have some good suggestions. I will look through the posted software first.

Thanks,
    Jason

I am a design engineer, and work in 3D Solidworks. It is an amazing program, and I can not say enough good things about it. if I want to export to a shop for CNC work I can export in .dwg, .dxf, or .iges formats. www.rupnowdesign.com

Thanks! I tried to learn solidworks back in the late '90s(?) I never had a lot of luck with it. I probably did not put enough effort into it, as I picked up Acad fairly easily when I had a need for it. Out of curiosity, are you saying solidworks is easier to model in over all, or just for 3d assemblies.

Thanks,
    Jason

I am using CamBam now for most of my CAM work. However the version I am using isn't publicly available as it is in beta test. For CAD I use a variety of programs from a very old copy to Turbo Cad to several of the free trial packages to plain old finger cam.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Okay, I have been reading for about 2hrs about 2.5 vs. 3d and I am still confused. It appears that 2.5d basically means a 3d shape can be machined from several layers of different depth cuts, but cannot machine any overhangs.

I think this will be sufficient for my machine, but I do have a 4th axis rotab that I intend to use eventually. Will 2.5d cam handle things like gears and spline machined w/ a 4th axis?

Thanks for the answers so far. I did search back through Evans post, I thought for sure he listed all of the software he is using in one of the threads, maybe it was in a reply to someone else, and I only searched his threads. Anyhow, I can't find it, but cambam looks pretty nice. I will probably try it out.

Thanks,
    Jason

IOWOLF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    I am using CamBam now for most of my CAM work. However the version I am using isn't publicly available as it is in beta test. For CAD I use a variety of programs from a very old copy to Turbo Cad to several of the free trial packages to plain old finger cam.
    Big surprise Evan, You always have the best and newest stuff.

2.5D means the mill can do 3D objects but it move only 2 axis at one time a 3D machine moves any or all of the 3 axis at the same time.

I draw with RhinoV4 and exploring Visual Mill and MadCam for machining. Rhino costs less than Solidworks and AutoCad but it is superior for developing 3D objects for milling. If you have AutoCad experience then Rhino is real easy to pick up.