Thread: mixing regular and synthetic gear lube-- problems?

Default mixing regular and synthetic gear lube-- problems?

Anybody ever mixed synthetic and regular gear lubes and had problems? Just wondering...

New outboards come with a petroleum based gear oil in the gear case. After the first 20 hours of use, I drain them and put a synthetic gear oil in. I don't flush the gear case and there is always some residual petroleum left that mixes with the synthetic. I've been doing it this way for about 5 years and never had a problem. I don't think however, that mixing larger amounts of the two would be a good thing, even though most synthetic gear oils are a blend and not 100% synthetic.
    Mac

IOWOLF Guest

As always revert to manufactures recommendations.

Jim,

We run several gas turbines offshore, and have changed over to synthetic lube oils. We checked with the lube oil manufacturers; they told us that regular and synthetic can be mixed in any ratio without problems - just that the mix will be less effective than pure synthetic (but better than regular).

No problems with the oil turning to a gel or whatever - I think that was only when adding mineral oil to a vegetable oil like castrol R...

Ian

Shouldn't be a problem these days. Some early synthetics weren't compatible with petroleum, but the ones you get now generally are.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Default What does "SYNTHETIC" really mean?

My understanding is that the term "SYNTHETIC" doesn't mean that the oil is created from something other than petroleum, but rather that it is perhaps hyper-refined and then the components are put back together for a specific application. You are still mixing oil & oil. The only thing I have ever heard of where there could be a problem would be from mixing parafin based (Pennsylvania Grade) oil with acid base oil (most of the non-Pennsylvania Grade). Other than that oil is oil. Unless you are really pushing the limits of the lubricating or heat transfer properties you will probably never see any difference.