Thread: Dding Adjustability To Sander Table

Default Dding Adjustability To Sander Table

I build hotrods as a hobby, and about 20 years ago I designed and built a very heavy duty 6" wide vertical belt sander for dressing the edges of flame cut brackets. This machine has served me faithfully over the years, except for one flaw. At the time I built the frame of the heavy sander (shown in blue), I did not have the capability to make the "rest table" (also shown in blue) adjustable. I lined it up perfectly with the main frame, clamped it in place, and welded it solid. The distortion from welding pulled the rest table about 1.5 to 2 degrees "out of square" with the main frame and sanding belt. Now that I have a lathe, I am going back and making improvements to many of the machines I built in the past. I have designed an adjustable table support (as shown below the welded (blue) table support). Last week I was on this forum asking how to bore a hole between 2 split blocks, and thanks to the help I got from forum members was able to do that succesfully. I have attached a 3D CAD model of the sander, showing the "improved, adjustable table support" and the 4 sets of split blocks that I machined on the lathe.---Brian

Okay---A mornings work and the modification to the sanding machine is finished. Please excuse the ugly paint job---I had 5 spray cans of paint in the garage, and they were all either plugged or dried out!!!

Hey that looks like it will work great! Should add a lot of versatilty to the sander.

When you had the first set of pics up I was wondering why you didn't use the clamp bolts for mounting, but now that I see you were welding it, I understand.

I had intended to build one a while ago, but then ran into one for $20 that met my needs so used the collected parts elsewhere. Still thinking of building a 1x?? sander, but not sure if I realy have the need for another unit in my cramped shop., maybe I can take over the basement if I can get the wife to let me put the washer/dryer outside under the eaves.....

Ken.