Thread: Shaper crossfeed screw breakage

Default Shaper crossfeed screw breakage

Shapers seem better able to self-destruct than other machines. This old Whipp shaper I have has a few broken parts and in each case it's been the machine itself that has done the damage. At some time in its past the table collided with the ratchet mechanism and it seems like a given this will happen. Operator error, of course, but still, odd that the machine is built to allow it.

Some days ago I reassembled my recently overhauled ratchet assembly and was testing it. Unknown to me, the nut that is on the other end of the cross-feed lead screw decided to stop in its tracks as the table fed slowly right to left. Naturally I was mesmerized by the big beast's graceful movement and was unaware the nut was getting tighter and tighter with every stroke until I heard a pop and the clatter of the now broken threaded end of the lead screw rattling across the floor. This is at least the second time for this lead screw to break in this fashion and doubt not for a second it's the last time

It's all iron, of course - so what's the best way to braze this thing back together? Another option is to remove the broken vestage from the screw and bore the shaft to accept a new stud. But how to attach it? I think perhaps boring the lead screw to accept a threaded stud on a split jam nut (like a bicycle's handlebar attaches to the steering head) might work.

You test travel under power?
    Doesn't your machine have the option to hand crank travel?
    Nick

I was testing the ratchet mechanism. I'd replaced or repaired every part of it except the wheel. In 20-20 hindsight that part needed a jam nut to prevent this from happening.

That's a yes then?
    Nick

It has a hand crank - and I did use it. In fact it was probably my hand cranking that wound the nut on tight to begin with as I hand crank it much faster than the ratchet turns it. It was turning very freely considering the 200 lbs of table and vise it was moving