Thread: Label Printer Question

Hybrid View

Default Label Printer Question

I know some of you guys run a business and tinker with computers so I thought I'd ask here.
    I've got an old Eltron P2022 thermal printer that I can't get to work in line mode. (Send it a line and print.) I had to reprogram it for bar code labels (page mode) because the battery in the memory cartridge was indicating low and I pulled it without thinking. The memory will only last about 5 minutes without the battery.

Any way, I'd like to use it on a scale now but can't get it to print the data lines from the scale. I've checked the scale output via Windows HyperTerminal and it works there. I just can't get the printer to accept it. Both are serial 9600,8,N,1 and connected via a DB-9 cable.

Would anyone happen to have a copy of the User Manual for this old printer? Or know how to set it for line mode? I have the programming manual but not the user manual. I'm wondering if this printer will even go into line mode. HELP!

One other thing--I had the scale cable going straight to the printer and not the KDU. Would that matter?

If you connect the printer to the PC with Hyperterminal and type, does what you type print out?

If so, then you need a serial crossover cable instead of a straight through one to connect it to the scale. A PC is considered a DTE (Data Terminal Equipment) and the scale is a DCE (Data Communications Equipment) so they can be connected with a regular cable. If you connect two DCEs together, you need a crossover cable or an adapter that swaps pins 2&3

It's almost certain that a serial printer will be a DCE so you will need the cable. Radio Shack used to carry them, so do B&B Electronics online.

Thanks LW but nothing prints via HT. But yet I can send programming commands to the printer via HT and it accepts them. Setting options and printing a status sheet works. The printer just won't print individual lines that are not commands. The programming manual says it must be put in Line Mode instead of the default page mode. I can't figure out how to do that. Or if this printer even has line mode.

I found Eltron on the web. But I could not find your printer model. You might try asking them.

If they don't respond, you could download some of their other model instruction manuals. Most printer makers use the same codes for many models. Look for a model that is close to yours.

It could be as simple as sending a carriage return or line feed command.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 06-12-2008 at 03:32 PM.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Have you tried esc (ASCII 27)?
    or esc + (wotever)
    Got me out of some tight places with printers.
    Just got my head together
    now my body's falling apart

where's the super genius when you need him???Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen
    ...But yet I can send programming commands to the printer via HT and it accepts them. Setting options and printing a status sheet works. ....
    What sort of commands are you sending? Are they straightforward English like 'status' for a status sheet, or is it something weird like pressing cntl+S?

Setting line mode is likely to be similar to the other commands, so maybe 'Linemode' or 'Line' if 'status' gets a status page (or cntl+L, or whatever)?

Walt

The commands are the EPL programming language. It's similar to most interpretive languages. There's 1,2 and 3 character commands followed by up to 4 variables or parameters. Using Hyper Terminal, I can type U and hit Enter and the printer will print it's configuration. (About 12 lines of detail.) Some commands are immediate others are used to setup the printer. There's about 100 others that let you store graphics, forms and data in the printer's memory. These can then be recalled to print bar coded labels, etc. You just tell it what label and how many you want. If there's variable data for each label, it stops and you enter the data through the KDU. (Keyboard Display Unit) It's a slick stand-alone system for printing labels. (No computer needed.) For that, it works great. Trying to find "Line Mode" is tough though.

I forgot to mention:
    Some of the commands are preceded with the ASCI character ^ (94d) and they work too so I know it's getting through to the printer.