Thread: Collets; R8, 5C, et al

Default Collets; R8, 5C, et al

Should they be kept completely clean & dry or have a light wipe with oil?

Seems as if oil would not be desirable between collet and spindle but...this is why I ask.
    Len

I favor a thin film of light oil, to prevent rust.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Mine get doused with WD regularly in use,a little film of oil decreases wear and makes them easier to use I find.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I dust them off with WD as they sit in their holders and tool boxes. It does dry to an somewhat protective film that looks like they are rusting. Then for use I take a rag that is fairy damp with WD to clean off the old WD, comes off quick and the collet is slightly wet now with WD..

Many people will not use WD but I really like the stuff. Its cheap and I use it like water. Definitely not a good lubricant but I like to keep my tools "wet" with it. I live close to the ocean and if any metal is allowed to dry it rusts. JR

Oh, for real protection though I use LPS3 but its too thick for stuff I use regularly. But for stored tooling they get a blast of that.. Like cosmoline in a can

Smile

I just let mine rust . Once they turn brown a little light oil and you dont have to worry about them any more . Kind of like gun blue ,just brown.

I do like Lane and just leave mine alone... some of the R-8's must be 16-18yrs old -- (and they are -- GASP-- Chinese) and I dont even think they got the brown patina on them, But, I agree that that brown patina seems to be like blueing, and puts a barrier up against major rust,

Its GOT to be a big factor in where you live and the conditions in your shop as to the care your tools need, -- I just dont have a rust problem in my shop even though here in La. it gets gawdawful humid!
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Isn't there a gunsmithing process of "browning" where the part is exposed to acid, rusts, the rust is steel wooled off and the Process repeated until it's a nice brown?

For the OP, I generally don't do anything but wipe them off. If anything a light coat of some kind of light oil would be good: 3-in1, spindle oil, etc.
    Jon Bohlander
    My PM Blog

Collets are not finished like Jo blocks. They have a textured surface. A light coat of oil will just squeeze into the texture as you tighten. You do want to wipe them to remove any dust or swarf before and during use.

I would not keep them dry as rust is far more harmful.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!