Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broke into the 60's (62.5 MPG)

Thumbs up Broke into the 60's (62.5 MPG)

Who the hell needs a moped, car ran cool as a cucumber with EGT's just 50 degree's F. max over stock, 10% city driving and the rest hilly and also a little blend of crap ethanol -- there is no reason I should not be able to get into the 70's on occasion driving 60 to 65 mph on the flats, It really is amazing, im very happy with my Mods. and actually way beyond my expectations, Ya get pro-active - sometimes it actually pans out and liberates you.

Im approaching TWICE the mpg highway rating on www.fueleconomy.gov of a 92 toyota tercel

What is it?

What did you do to it?

Phase one; You will find in the search "broke into the 50's"
    For the most part its within everyones "efficiency percentile" reach.

Phase two you will find some info in "machining new value's of a potentiometer" Its still on page two.

Somewhere inbetween the two threads is another showing my new air/fuel mixture and exhaust temp gauges, you might get lucky by punching in "gauges" into the search.

Chipslinger Guest

That's wonderful , are you going to try for 70 mpg?

Norman Atkinson Guest

Default Broke into the 60's

Think about it but my wife got 57.5 mpg in a standard C Class 270 CDI Merc Estate car fully loaded and with an automatic box and 70+mph.

None of this fancy gadgetry unless the radio counts.

The Hyundai 1.5 litre Diesel is advertised to do 75mpg.

Really, my 1.1 Hyundai Getz which is petrol does near to that with the aircon blasting and me - singing ' Viva Espana'.

It does suggest the Legion of Lost Causes!

Now there is a Beemer car which does------------------------Better not, Normie- the Yanks are getting touchy!

Is your gal. Imperial=4.54Liters or 160oz
    or a USA gal=3.78Liters or 128oz
    Doug

Avi, I like perspective also, here's some from my end, while I will never argue that diesels have huge efficiency advantages I will state this - Its mostly in part due to them not having to come up with a "proper mix", They just throw a tiny little fraction of a drop of highly atomized/underpressure fuel into a high comp.chamber that was fed full bore open with no throttle plate and fire off their load, its a great way to go - but for the most part what your rating is is what your going to get --- you can make some mild improvements but you will never be able to achieve the efficiency percentage gains of what iv just done, Um --- need I remind you that not only is my rating higher but my fuel is cheaper And Vmil brings up a great point --- what size gallon are you talking about? mines US...

As far as your 1.1 hyundai - I will not only outdue it I will also drag it sideways, I push a little button that disables the Potentiometer and piggyback oxy sensor and the 1.5 tercel is capable of 120 mph on the flats, So no- not a whole lot of gagetry But a few very fun gauges to watch

Keep in mind one thing also --- I have not gone LOP yet, if im fully capable of getting into the 70's right now it means that the 80's are possible if I set my steed up to run Lean of peak, tell me it cant be done (please)--- and then sit back and watch me make it happen. Some call it "touchy" But really whats behind it is competitiveness, think this is "bad" Things really get ugly when I pedal my mountain bike. --------

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer
    Who the hell needs a moped, car ran cool as a cucumber with EGT's just 50 degree's F. max over stock, 10% city driving and the rest hilly and also a little blend of crap ethanol
    That's very impressive AK -- both the mileage and your skills and ingenuity to tune the motor.

We've been talking about "doing something about it" -- you did!

Thank you Laz, You know what im starting to realize?
    it really is becoming the new "status" symbol -- in general consensus it's actually becoming very "uncool" to drive a massive hummer, My how things are flip flopping -- Iv got customers wanting me to do this to there cars, Although I do not think the general public is ready to be rolling down the highway mixing up a batch of fuel for the immediate demand at hand I have two appointments with two "efficiency gals" that I need to pop the hood and see if I can incorporate "phase I" into their throttle system, tire pressure's and synthetics and then a long drive together to teach them the basics of efficiency driving habits. For the first time in a long time Iv rekindled my love affair with the automobile as I feel I can make some changes - at least on a local level...

Side note; did a clutch job on a 97 suzuki esteem last week -- pop the hood and whats staring back at me? a progressive ratio throttle control -- it was made of plastic but hey.

Norman Atkinson Guest

Default Broke into the 60's

Ah but I have two cars which will make your 'whatever it is' cough and splutter. The Merc in bog standard will pull 146mph and I suspect that the SLK will turn both heads and much the same speed ( both have governors as with Krautmobiles).
    The MiniCooper?????? Come on Sunshine- I tuned the original one way back in 1963 and this one is -well, enough to get really excited about.

The Hyundai is merely - a Spanish replacement to an overloaded donkey!

Cheers me deers

Norm