Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Pair of Shopbuilt Belt Grinders

Default A Pair of Shopbuilt Belt Grinders

Finally got these done!!

All of the motors, knobs, handles, springs, stand, casters and materials were from the local scrap yard, with a few exceptions. I even found a good size piece of blanchard ground medium carbon plate for the tool rests. I gathered it all up dove in and found I needed a few other things an so it sat and aged for a year.

The one on the right is a typical 2x48 grinder. All aluminum frame, base and arm. The back piece is 4" channel screwed together with buttonhead screws. I originally thought about having it portable and able to lay on its back and use the upper wheel, plans changed when I found that rolling stand. Belt speed is a little under 5000 fpm. 1 hp Baldor 3450 rpm motor, seem to have plenty of umph.

The one on the left is a KMG clone. 2hp 3450rpm Baldor 3 phase motor, that I run off a VFD, so it is variable speed. I found the main piece of cast iron already milled for a 1"x2" bar, so that is what I used. I decided to try and use mostly cast iron for this one and did except for a few pieces.

I bought the 3 1/2" serrated contact wheels from Multitool, they work great! And the tracking wheel from Beaumont. I have a 10" diameter wheel for the KMG that I will also be fitting.

Anyone recognise what machine the main piece of cast iron is that I am pointing at is off of?
    No cheating!

Cool. I have the pieces mostly gathered for a KMG-style clone. I've been wanting one of those for a while...

As for the cast part, maybe an old power hacksaw?

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

hey those look great,nice work

Thumbs up

Looks great,what did the contact wheels set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Is that Hammerite Verdi-green paint?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Looks great. What do you use them for?

Thanks guys!!
    No, not an power hacksaw.

Contact wheels were bought here http://ausmultitool.com/Item/MTCTWL.htm
    I bought them last year when they were on the website for $39 (I think). I phoned my order in and the guy said they were $59. I told him the website said $39. He said it was the old price and the webpage was not updated but they would honor it. No hassle. Gotta like that!
    Van Sant sells them for $79.
    http://www.vansantent.com/multitool.htm
    The wheels run very true and I would higly recommend them. They are mounted on a threaded shaft complete with bearings. I mounted mine on as shown and was able to get it all to track right with a 2x48 belt without the tracking assembly or spring tensioner installed. So with just 2 wheels engaged I could grind, debur the other parts. The 1.125" dia shaft I mounted it to was slid side to side and rotated (there was a very small amount of axial misalignement between the threads on the contact wheel, the internal threads, the 1.125" shaft, and the 1.125" hole) until it tracked perfectly.
    Here is a better photo.

Why yes that is Hammerite Verdi-green paint. I am having a love affair with it currently, nothing is safe.

Using the 2x48 for everything, deburring, grinding. BIG timesaver. Instead of using the mill and all the time to trim, square, ROUNDING corners or bevel something that needs to fit well but not be precise,,, 30 seconds with the grinder!
    Anything that gets cut by the bandsaw makes a pass by the belt grinder.
    Should have built one years ago.

The KMG clone with be used for the more odd grinding, weird angle, and precise stuff like tubing coping (a 1.75" dia contact wheel is in the works) and metal finishing where it doesn't warrant using the surface grinder. I have a piece of that ground plate about 12"x12" that will make a nice table for the odd stuff with lots of room for clamps and jigs.
    Don't plan on using the KMG (Knife Making Grinder) for making any knives though.

Thumbs up

Very nice work. Looks just like it was done in a commercial factory!
    Paul in NE Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by PHiers
    Very nice work. Looks just like it was done in a commercial factory!
    I agree. They look amazing!

Beautiful job! By the way, Amazon has the "Snap-On" MultiTool Multitool MLT100 Belt & Disc Sander contact wheel arm for $129. You can mount it on the arbor of any standard 1/3 HP grinder:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Quote Originally Posted by cijuanni
    Why yes that is Hammerite Verdi-green paint. I am having a love affair with it currently, nothing is safe.
    Did you brush or spray the Hammerite? I've read on-line that you have to thin-it out to "oatmeal" consistency if you brush on vertical surfaces, or it will sag under the weight of the aluminum flakes?

I bought a gallon of the Hammerite silver for my T&C Grinder and I was going to spray it, but it looks like brushing it self-levels?

I also bought a quart of the blue Hammerite metal-flake, which is really sweet

Smile

VERY nice I like the Sanders Keep up the nice tool making.