Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT- Networking two computers. Need help

Default OT- Networking two computers. Need help

Ok.. I have had nothing but problems trying to sync up two computers.

I have them both on a common modem for the internet access. Both hooked up to the modem through NIC cards. Both have software firewalls but I even stopped the firewalls for troubleshooting.

They are Win XP pro on both boxes. I have went through ALL the "setting up networks" processes for both. I have set each one up with individual computer names, but similar.

I have shared the folders and set permissions. Being XP pro (NTFS) I can set the permissions even tighter, or more relaxed.

Ok.. My problem. I can see one of the boxes under windows explorer or "My network places". And I can see it and get to the first level of folders but it wont let me go beyond that first folder. I think I see why, cause it is using the "simple share" permissions instead of the NTFS "user permissions". I can get through that.

The thing that is baffling me is... One box cant even see the shares from the other box, wont even post them up. And the other sees the shares but limits me to just seeing them (permissions issue Im thinking).

The box that wont even see the shared folders knows there is another computer there (on the workgroup) cause when I go to "view workgroup computers" it lists it as part of the workgroup. So it sees the computer, but wont publish the drives.

Now, I can set the "everyone" permission under the NTFS permissions not the "sharing permissions" (different you know) to what I need, basically all functions, like admin privileges but I dont know if thats all that secure.

When I set "everyone" to admin control I can access all the files on the one box.. I can have my firewall up and still have access with "everyone" but I dont think thats a good method, with setting "everyone" with full control..

And long story longer... What I think I should be able to do is set up both computers with a "User" account that has access (with a password cause of XP pro) and set permissions just for that "user" Meaning, can I set full access for User X and keep all the other permissions the same?

I made users on each box and I cant figure out how to remotely log into the "server" with this user.

And if so how?? I have each computer named differently, lets say A and B. I have placed the user of each computer on both. Can I do what Im trying to do?

Sure, I can go easy and set "everyone" at full access. But am I still protected? My firewall is tight, I think, its stealth. Want my IP, all you get is the same ol Verizon info and my browser info, no open ports to be seen..

Ok, Im at a loss here. I just want to transfer files from one box to another through the "shared folders" system. Nothing that many of you guys dont already do.. With a lil security..

Any help?? Thanks guys JR

Check the MAC address of each computer and verify that it isn't the same. I have seen similar problems caused by two computers having the same default MAC address assigned to each by the onboard NIC.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Default similar problem?

JR I had similar problems getting a couple of machines to talk to each other. It was finally solved by making sure that the USER accounts were the same on both boxes with the same PASSWORDs. Suddenly, after a reboot on both, the sharing worked as expected. You seem to be a more advanced computer user than I so you have already tried this. Good luck.

Dwayne
    "When it comes to paradigms ... shifts happen" - Alain Rossman

Quote Originally Posted by JRouche
    Ok.. I have had nothing but problems trying to sync up two computers.

I have them both on a common modem for the internet access. Both hooked up to the modem through NIC cards.
    I've seen this done through "Shared connection" but it is not really a "Home Network" per say

Just end your misery and go down and get a "Linksys" router/digital switch(Cisco's off shore brand) for about $50. Your computer will actually see Faster internet speeds as well as have a true subnet mask protocol that will make all this networking child's play

You didn't indicate the type of modem but if it is broadband, a router is a simple way to go and provides a firewall in the bargain. I got a used Netgear FVS318 on eBay for $25 delivered and it works well and is easy to set up. Setup is done using your browser and includes extensive help so it is (dare I say) fairly intuitive

Setup of MS networking is partly magic but clearly it was written by a very competent programmer so once set up it works very well. Unfortunately it is complicated to set up for those of us who don't do this every day.

The following site was helpful in getting my setup working properly because it walked me through the complete process step by step:
    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

John

I have never been able to get "My Network Places" to work consistently. Instead, if I want to share folders between computers, I setup "Network Drives." They show up in "My Computer" just like the A:\, C:\ drives, etc.

It sounds like you've already got a handle on setting folder permissions. I recommend that you always password-protect the shared folders to keep unwelcomed eyes out of them.

There are numerous websites that discuss how to share and map network drives. One is:

http://www.drbillbailey.net/share.html

Please note that the website uses a cross-over cable instead of a router, but you can ignore that and just use your router as normal, while following the rest of the directions. Also, you shouldn't share the entier C:\ drive like the webpage's author did -- it's a big security risk.

As a final note on network drives, most tutorials say to map an address like:

\\machine-name\share-name

If your computer was named "MyComp" and the shared folder was "Documents," then you would map:

\\MyComp\Documents

Sometimes, windows networking is unable to figure out what "MyComp" is, so I've found that a much more reliable alternate is to use the IP address that is assigned to "MyComp" by your router. For example, the IP address is probably something like 192.168.1.100. If that's the case, you would map

\\192.168.1.100\Documents

I hope this helps. Windows networking is always a bit tricky to setup, but once you get it setup, it usually works quite well.

Edit/Addition:

When you enter your username and password to access the remote folder, you can't just type the username. Instead, you must type "computer_name/username." For example, if the remote computer is called "MyComp" and the username is "MyName", then you would use:

MyComp/MyName

The password will be MyName's password on the REMOTE computer.
    Last edited by b2u44; 06-22-2008 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    Check the MAC address of each computer and verify that it isn't the same. I have seen similar problems caused by two computers having the same default MAC address assigned to each by the onboard NIC.
    Ok, Evan, Ill check that but I dont think they are gonna be close. Seeing how the old computer is five plus years old and has a NIC and the new one is a chip set on the MB.. Thanks!!! JR

Quote Originally Posted by DENedbalek
    JR I had similar problems getting a couple of machines to talk to each other. It was finally solved by making sure that the USER accounts were the same on both boxes with the same PASSWORDs. Suddenly, after a reboot on both, the sharing worked as expected. You seem to be a more advanced computer user than I so you have already tried this. Good luck.
    Dwayne
    I made the "User" accounts the same, easy to do with them side by side, still no luck. Thanks... JR

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFin
    I've seen this done through "Shared connection" but it is not really a "Home Network" per say
    Yeah, I mis-spoke. Not a HN, just trying to share with some security.. And I have linked up two boxes before via NICs but Im not looking to spend any money on the old box. I just wanna move the 120gig of info over before I wipe it and give it to my kids Guess I might just disconnect the internet cable and give the "everyone" account full access and be done. It was just driving me crazy why I couldn't set these guys up to talk. Im not all that computer literate but this is supposed to be a simple function with XP and Im thinking if I cant do it I must be a real moron. So I keep pluggin at the problem, not that it will cure my moron status LOL... Thanks, JR..

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetBuilder
    You didn't indicate the type of modem but if it is broadband,
    It is broadband, would that matter???