Thread: New Logan

Hybrid View

Default New Logan

Hey, I Have been lurking here for quite a while so I decided that i should Finally get an account, and while I am new to this forum I am definitely not a stranger to forums. I am A third Year Machinist Apprentice in Calgary Alberta.

Anyway I Purchased A Pretty nice Logan 200 lathe about 4 months ago and it was in good shape, I must Say I am pretty Impressed By this machine. While I haven't used it to actually make anything As I have to order cutting tools I really like the way it is put together and how every little thing works.

I took everything apart besides the headstock and stripped off the old paint and repainted it, There were very few things that needed repair and the bed was In pretty good condition besides a few nick here and there.

I got the thing for 600.00 from a lady, It was her fathers and he had since been put into a home so she was getting rid of all his things. This thing was in his basement so me and my buddy loaded up some tools and took like 3 hours Dismantling it. It came with 3 chucks a 4-Jaw, and 2 3-jaws one of which is a cool little Taylor chuck. There were also a few other small things and some cutting tools. It came with an American Standard tool post which I do not like so I whipped one up at work.

The Color looks really light in these photos and its actually Darker In real life.

This is the Taylor Chuck Its pretty neat because the Scroll Plate and jaws are both angled.

Welcome to the forum. That's a pretty nice lathe. I have a Logan too but yours puts mine to shame.You will have lots of fun with it.

By 'both angled' I take it you mean that the jaws would move inwards as well as towards the headstock when tightening them? That's pretty neat, but would seem to be an expensive bit.

I like it because of the depth to the jaws, think you could get a real nice bite with them.

Nice looking lathe, like Logans, sold one a while ago, kept the other one. Good solid lathes.

Ken.

Well actually the jaws don't move inward because the plate and the jaws are angled the same way.I was reading up on it and apparently its the only chuck ever made that is like this and that it was the "Rolls Royce" of chucks when it was made.

That is a very nice looking lathe. What kind of projects are you going to be using it for?

If you need a set of threading change gears for it I happen to have some on ebay right now. Looking at the bores and gear teeth they look like they have never been used.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=018

It doesn't say on the listing that I will ship to Canada but I will.
    Mark Hockett

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hockett
    That is a very nice looking lathe. What kind of projects are you going to be using it for?

If you need a set of threading change gears for it I happen to have some on ebay right now. Looking at the bores and gear teeth they look like they have never been used.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=018

It doesn't say on the listing that I will ship to Canada but I will.

I don't have too much planned for projects so far, right now I have to get it all tooled up but i wouldn't mind trying my hand at a few steam engines.

I actually have all the change gears that i need and they are in pretty good shape

Looks more like a 210. The 200 had legs, a chip tray, and a floor standoff for the drive box assembly. The model number should be stamped on the tag on the headstock.

I found the 200 series to be very decent lathes. The only things I never learned to appreciate were (i) the change gears - they work, but they can be a pain in the crank to set up, (ii) the leather drive belt, and (iii) the tiny dials on the crossfeed and compound.

Thats a neat looking lathe!

What a wild chuck! I've never seen anything like it. I'm looking forward to seeing some posts of your projects and your personal expierence with the chuck.