Thread: Tire Truing on a Lathe

Default Tire Truing on a Lathe

I've seen a y tude demo of a tire that had a flat spot on it that was turn true after a bit of work . I would to know if anyone has done a 23x 10.5 -12 on a lathe to true it up ?

Default Tire turning

Going to need a big lathe for that. I HAVE turned rubber. Drilling is a b*$ch but turning with tool is not bad.

mark61

Default Tie

The best way to remove the flat spot is to grind the tire. A good tire shop should be equipped to perform that service.

JRW

I see probs with turning a tire, for one bit sharpness is of the utmost importance, for two - all kinds of little rocks hanging out in the little sipes and grooves ready to make point one a real problem...

Somewhere around here I have pictures of a buddy using my belt sander on his Harley softtail's rear tire. It was too wide, for some reason, and the belt sander and the spinning wheel still on the bike made short work of the problem. It also made my garage stink, but I was on the way to Sturgis and didn't really care

Don't need a lathe. Spin it on wheel balancer. My portable will handle tires up to something like 55" in diameter or 300 pounds. Fixed mounted balancers can go larger in some cases. The problem with fixed mount type is overriding the spin cycle to keep it going. You have to crank my portable.

Somewhere around here I have pictures of a buddy using my belt sander on his Harley softtail's rear tire.
    An angle grinder with a coarse disk works too. I just did the same thing to make some clearance on my E-bike.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Big Lathe, Spin balancer, Tire shop? Where's your sense of adventure. If you got the wheel, the tire and the problem you must have the vehicle it that spins it. A bumper jack and a brick on the gas, what else you need. Oltimers around here used to hull walnuts throwing them under a spinning tire like that.