Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Left hand drill bit??

Question Left hand drill bit??

OK...........I've got to ask............is there some "special" reason for having a left handed drill bit.

I saw some advertised and cannot figure out what they would be good for except for a broken drill that will "only" work in reverse........

A "hole" is a "hole".......whether drill clockwise or counter clockwise.........Right??

Can someone explain what they are for??

Thanks.............
    RPease

one use for left hand bits is when you are drilling out a broken off bolt. A right hand bit will try to screw it in further, while a left hand one tends to unscrew it. If you are lucky (seldom happens) the broken bolt might come out when you drill with the LH bit.
    I think there is another use, but can't think of it right now. John

They are used for removing broken bolts. By drilling in reverse when the drill bites at the end of the hole if will spin the bolt out instead of in.
    Mark Hockett

Default Left-handed drill bits

They are of course rotated "back-wards" - true - no joke!!

They are primarily for drilling out jammed or rusted bolts,studs etc. They will sometime cause the thread to "walk out". The principle is the same as "screw extractors" - aka "Ezy-outs".

It surprising how much concentration - for me anyway- when you've had a long time developing the skills and habits of sharpening right-handed drill bits!!

I understand left hand drill bits are used in some multi-spindle drilling machines where the adjacent chuck have opposite rotation.
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

Right hand drill bits for right handed people and left hand drill bits for left handed people, just like batters and golfers!!

Left-hand drills are used in gang-drilling machines-particularly those used to drill those rows of holes in the side panels for adjustable shelving. Every other drill is left-handed and this elliminates the need for an idler gear between drills, and allows closer spacing with a simpler gear box. Duffy

They are often used in the back side spindles of screw machines, for drilling the back of parts after they are cut off. I used to have a set of fraction and number lefties. Later, when I got to dealing with graduate students and PhD's they came in handy, just the thing to drive the "smart people" nuts. The time spent regrinding them was worth it.

Joe
    NSA - the only government agency that actually listens to what you have to say.

What about left-handed allen wrenches?

Default left handed drills

They are to drill holes for tapping left handed threads