Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Home Shop Welding 101"

Default "Home Shop Welding 101"

OK guys! I can't stand it anymore. We've got to start a REAL Home Shop Welding thread!
    I am so sick of so called "experts" coming here...blabbing off to Home Shop Guys about how they need 12 million dollars worth of heat treating ovens...expensive tig equipment, million dollar gas welding torches, etc.
    It's time to cut all the BS.
    So..lets do this right! THIS IS HOMESHOP WELDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have some pretty strong opinions about welding. I've worked as a supervisor in a big welding plant for a long time...teaching the beginners.
    I have my own welding business.
    I've been the local welding "do anything" for years.
    I've studied welding towards being a Welding Engineer for a long time.
    I DO NOT know everything!
    So.. lets start from the beginning.
    Tomorrow I'll do a deal on O/A welding... where we ALL should start!
    Then we will move on to Tig... the best way IMO.
    Then stick..then wirefeed!
    Anyone else have anything to add...be "OUR" guest...just make sure your facts are right.
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

i'm looking forward to this and will bring a nice shiny apple tomorrow way to go Russ. one thing to keep in mind is budgets, some things like gas and low end mig is more accessible to a home shop budget than say a real tig....but interested to hear what you have to say

Ooh! I want front row. I grew up learning stick, but I find that much of what I'd be interested in welding these days would be incompatible with such methods. A few years ago, I picked up wire-feed for a project, but the next endeavor will be MIG or TIG with a proper table. No more floor welding!

Well Russ, great idea!!!

Its nice to have a guy like you around who has all the experience to weld up some certifiable weldments but still knows we are mostly abunch of Home Shop guys and we dont need to cert our stuff. We just need good, usable information to get the job done..

Its refreshing to hear advice from you because you know we are not making nuclear containment vessels.

I like the approach, Oxy-Act first, then TIG. Thats how my instructor started us. Even though some anxious folks, myself included, wanted to jump right into TIG. Im glad he made us go through the O/A first, before we could continue we had to pass some tests with O/A first.

Looking forward to the lessons!!! I specifically want more knowledge in TIG welding aluminum when that lesson comes. I have always had difficulties there. And I follow all the rules I have been taught and read, still difficult for me.

And Im hoping there wont be any chiming in from all the other "professionals" on how to do it "better". Im thinking if they have a "better" way to do a process they could start their own thread and leave yours clutter free for the rest of us...

Waiting on the edge of my seat, ok stool ))) JR

Great idea.

I bought my first O/A, May 12, '69, used. Still have it, with new hoses. It was the learning tool, and I can still lay a bead, with it, or the later machines.

Suggestion: Let the gurl edit the post, since she might be more familiar with the noob problems and the feel of welding, long forgotten by some of us. (But now instinctive.)

Dave

Talking I'm with Ya, buddy

Time to eliminate the bullcraap.

Ive managed to weld up almost anything I wanted to for, well since I was in high school. Graduated in '71. With a Lincoln crackerbox and a oxy/acet rig I can weld, cut, braze, solder about anything I want. With a few more bucks to spend, I'd get a TIG. Then SS and Alum would be welded, no sweat.

I learned to weld with Oxy/Acet first. I think it's a really good way to start. I've used TIG and wire also, it seemed easy after learning the basics with a torch.

Anything you'd care to pass on to those of us who aren't profesionals would be much appreciated.

Regards, TC

Nope... there is no more "gurl". She's out of the welding biz for good.. no more hands to do it with.(arthiritus)
    She was an amazing welding student.
    I welcome HOMESHOP welding info on this thread
    Tomorrow..uphand O/A gas welding...."OMG! I can't believe how hot this is"

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Clarke
    Time to eliminate the bullcraap.

Ive managed to weld up almost anything I wanted to for, well since I was in high school. Graduated in '71. With a Lincoln crackerbox and a oxy/acet rig I can weld, cut, braze, solder about anything I want. With a few more bucks to spend, I'd get a TIG. Then SS and Alum would be welded, no sweat.

I learned to weld with Oxy/Acet first. I think it's a really good way to start. I've used TIG and wire also, it seemed easy after learning the basics with a torch.

Anything you'd care to pass on to those of us who aren't profesionals would be much appreciated.

Regards, TC
    Tim.. you about said it all...

Quote Originally Posted by torker
    OK guys! I can't stand it anymore. We've got to start a REAL Home Shop Welding thread!
    I am so sick of so called "experts" coming here...blabbing off to Home Shop Guys about how they need 12 million dollars worth of heat treating ovens...expensive tig equipment, million dollar gas welding torches, etc.
    It's time to cut all the BS.
    So..lets do this right! THIS IS HOMESHOP WELDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have some pretty strong opinions about welding. I've worked as a supervisor in a big welding plant for a long time...teaching the beginners.
    I have my own welding business.
    I've been the local welding "do anything" for years.
    I've studied welding towards being a Welding Engineer for a long time.
    I DO NOT know everything!
    So.. lets start from the beginning.
    Tomorrow I'll do a deal on O/A welding... where we ALL should start!
    Then we will move on to Tig... the best way IMO.
    Then stick..then wirefeed!
    Anyone else have anything to add...be "OUR" guest...just make sure your facts are right.
    Russ, I don't have the ''proper'' paper trail on all of My past experiances but I have been earning a living with My hood down for a long time. Having said that ,I would welcome the chance to learn more.... But it is My opinion that tig should fall twards the back of the learning curve, especialy in a ''home shop'' environment.I think that gas welding and brazing along with stick and mig would be more of what most home shop guys and gurls have access to.
    Of course this is only My opinion , and I am in no way looking for a fight.
    Steve

Fantastic idea Russ -- looking forward to it!

I signed-up for the advanced TIG class at ACC this Fall (orbital, pipe, ...) -- it's for credit class, so I'm probably going to get my cert just for the heck of it
    Last edited by lazlo; 07-19-2008 at 12:05 AM.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."