Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Welding Books:Welding Essentials 2nd edition

Default Welding Books:Shop skill books, foundry, projects and design

I did this series of book reviews for another forum I moderate on. I'm bring the welding books over to this forum.

After receiving the last two books I ordered. And reading one and the sections that caught my eye in the contents of the other.I thought that some of the other members might find them of interest.
    Having 10 or so books on welding text book type and the others. Most bog you down with a lot of info that you will never need if you are an artists/hobbyist or even a certified daily working welder. And they all seem to lack the info that comes up from time to time that we all need.
    I have two candidates that I feel are a must have for the newbe or old hand.

The first is:
    Welding Essentials 2nd edition
    questions & answers
    ISBN# 978-0-8311-3301-6
    by William Galvery and Frank Marlow
    Industrial Press
    Trade paper back

It is in a question and answer format that covers what is the most asked questions on safety, general welding of most types, as the contents page lists. With out all the theory and mumbo jumbo the text books put in.
    In its 500 plus pages it has a great glossary with clear to the point definitions. Good clear illustrations. And a simple to understand safety info. Some fun stuff, ok I'm an fact geek for off beat info. Like what do all those numbers mean stamped on the neck are of the tanks etc.

http://www.industrialpress.com/en/default.aspx
    Is the publishers web site. If you get it from other places make sure you get the 2nd edition as I was told some other venues were selling the 1st edition as the latest. The 2nd ed has some addition information.
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 03-22-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Default Welding Fabrication & Repair

Welding Fabrication & Repair
    questions&answers
    by Frank Marlow PE
    Industrial Press
    ISBN #0-8311-3123-3
    Again in the Q&A format, Dealing with real world fabrication issues. And tips and insights for solving them. They give clear concise info on the correct terms descriptions. Of steel, piping, tubing, and other stuff we tend not to know the correct terms or use age of scheduling # of pipe/tube and the wall thickness. Again the contents page and the back cover says it all.
    If you weld these two should be on you shelf.
    The publisher web site http://www.industrialpress.com/en/default.aspx

Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-02-2008 at 05:53 AM.
    Glen
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Default Audels Pipefitters and welders pocket manual

Audels
    Pipefitters and welders pocket manual
    by: Charles N. McConnell
    ISBN#0-02-034624-7
    copyright©1997 small trade paperback
    Macmillan Publishing

From soup to nuts these cover a generous amount of information in a small package. Lots of drawings, photo's, charts and tables. Not in depth on any one area, but enough to get through most things that come up and stump the experts.
    As these are for the working in the trade. But are great for the occasional user.http://www.mtroubleshooting.com/ sells them and a number of others
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-02-2008 at 05:52 AM.
    Glen

Default Welding Secrets 2nd edition (Historical context)

Welding Secrets 2nd edition
    by: Hal Wilson
    copyright 1990
    Flyco Machine co.
    ISBN#0-9700554-0-4
    http://www.mtroubleshooting.com/ is were you can get it but.

This 60 pager should rightly be called a welding shop tip book, as more than half are dealing with other shop stuff. The other thing this I believe, was originally conceived and done in the 40's 50's or 60's
    and reprinted in the 90's.
    I know that most work as far as welds go on amusement rides should be done by a cert'ed welder like the flying coaster tracks, and a lot of the other secrets. Should remained for the history books as most of the charts and tables in the appendix are from the Lincoln company.
    And shop work and welding have come far from these tips. Welding truck frames,shafts and everything else. Most are only a short paragraph. There are a lot of B&W pictures that also look and give the vintage feel. Like looking thru the family album at the old slightly darkened pictures from time.
    Again for somebody right of the street,and having an interest in absorbing a lot of shop info, it may be a good buy. But for an old hand it isn't worth it.
    Glen

Default Welding Basics An introduction to Practical & Ornamental Welding

Welding Basics
    An introduction to Practical & Ornamental Welding
    by Editors
    Creative Publishing International
    http://www.creativepub.com
    copyright ©2004 Trade paperback
    ISBN#1-589923-139-2

This is one you will see at the local home center, and other places that sell things of a mechanical nature. A slick paper full color, every tool new shot in a studio.(photo) With nary a spark burn in site.
    Covers the standard for a basic intro book. On the types of welding, and cutting along with the equipment needed.

The second sections is 23 shop projects for the beginner level.
    They are simple and clean in design. And could be done to good effect by the old hands to.
    Shop,(rolling weld curtain frame,carts table)
    Lighting,(lamps and candle holders)
    Furniture(coat rack, kitchen stuff, headboard)
    Outdoor(gate,boot brush and arbor).

All in all It is a well written and photographed intro welding and simple projects. If you have people asking about an inexpensive book this is probably the one to fill the bill.

Along with the great projects for the gifting season or all right what are you going to do with all them tools now that you got them.
    Glen

Default Oxy-Acetylene welding manual

Oxy-Acetylene welding manual
    by:NCG
    Stock number 400124-28
    copyright©1950
    booklet small format

You may only come across this one at a garage sale or in the sale bin at a flea market. But it is an interesting handy guide. It is chock full of gas welding info with good clear drawings and pictures. Mostly of their brand of product.
    It has good descriptions of all the equipment plus Acetylene generators and calcium carbide.

I don't even know if NCG is still around or what name it is now they may have an update version. You can always ask ypur supplier if their company puts out a booklet.
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-02-2008 at 05:51 AM.
    Glen

Default Audels Welders Guide

Audels Welders Guide
    Question and answers
    by: Frank D. Graham
    Theo Audel & Co
    Copyright©1940
    Hardcover small format

This is another of the books that got me hooked on the subject of welding. It was written at a time when the field of welding was changing and improving rapidly. The advances are amazing when you compare the then to now.
    It is a great look at the past and how far we have come. It does contain loads of info on gas welding that are still good today. Along with Drawings and B&W pictures it is set up in a Question and Answer format with an index of word linked questions so it is easy to use. I have dealt with some of the current Audels pocket trade info books in other reviews. They are a little different in layout and scope.
    Forge and Fire welding was still considered part of the welding art, but was fast being replaced by electric welding in the field.
    It has a brief description of each of the major welding areas at the time.

* Forge & Fire welding
    * Resistance welding
    * Arc welding
    * Carbon arc welding
    * Metallic arc welding
    * Shielded arc welding
    * Atomic Hydrogen welding
    * Gas welding
    * Thermit welding
    * Fusion welding, as it was still up to discussion at this time which version of which society's definition would be used

Atomic Hydrogen Arc welding: In this method an alternating current arc is maintained between two tungsten electrodes,and at the same time, a stream of hydrogen gas is passed thru the arc and around the electrodes.
    the atomic is referring to the change from an molecular state to an atomic state releasing a considerable amount of energy. I believe this was along the lines of a plasma type arc welding system that is no longer used since the advent of TIG.
    As it had a monster of an hand piece but was considered extremely mobile at the time. Because of the fact that the arc is independent of the work so the work doesn't have to be grounded.
    It has a complete chapter on eye protection and what happens and why you need it.
    It is a good asset for the gas welding info, on sheet, SS, copper and other materials as gas welding was the most used system at the time after forge/fire welding due to costs of the equipment.
    Some edition could be at a library near you
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-02-2013 at 05:03 AM.
    Glen

Default The Oxy-acetylene Handbook 2nd-ed

The Oxy-acetylene Handbook 2nd-ed
    Linde,Union Carbide welding products
    copyright© 1943,1960
    Hard cover

Sold as the be all and end book of its time on Oxy-Acetylene. It was used as text book in some advanced welding classes. It is divide into 7 parts and then in to sub chapters and sections of each subject covered.

* Part I General Principles of Oxy-Acetylene Process
    * Part II Ferrous Alloys
    * Part III Non-Ferrous Alloys
    * Part IV Miscellaneous Applications
    * Part V Cutting
    * Part VI Inspection and Management
    * Part VII other info

From covering the history and development of it. The application of the systems. Equipment, everything about the flame,more than you want to know about Oxygen and Acetylene production.

Everything you needed to about the assorted welding of iron and steel and braze-welding.

Non ferrous covers from lead,Aluminum,copper and alloys. nickel and alloys, to magnesium.

Then moves on to bronze-surfacing,hard-facing, wear rod application,Silver brazing heat and flame-treating.

To four chapters on cutting, then on to inspection and management.

To finish up with something I hadn't see before now The air-acetylene flame and its uses, of course at the time I got this I had no use for the presto lite style torch

Considering that gas welding hasn't really changed much since it was written. You could call this book very up to date. Other than the improvements in fluxes and rods. If you come across it snap it up.
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-02-2013 at 05:05 AM.
    Glen

Default Introduction to Welding

Introduction to Welding
    Ronald F Gonzales and I G Edmonds
    ISBN 0-06-453303-4 trade paperback
    copyright©1975
    Canfield Press

This is a hobbyist type book when it was written. As it only covered stick arc and oxy-acetylene welding. As it is for the beginner and or somebody coming into welding with little knowledge or experience. It goes thru the basics, along with the equipment,metal prep, types of welds. Along with inspection and testing during practice. It has a lot of photos and some drawings so you can see what is going on.
    It does finish up with, art metal sculpture welding, not an in depth discussion, but more than other books on welding give to the area. The home shop, and about were to go from here. On to TIG and MIG welding.

It does give a pretty good description and info on the solid oxy type welding system. which the younger crowd may not know about. Lucky for me I knew somebody that had one, and heard about the oxygen pellets only lasting for 8 minutes and having to be reloaded.Since I already had the full rig I didn't become seduced by their advertising and purchase a set up.
    But if I find one in the box with pellets I may buy one now for a collectors /talking item of the good old days

All in all if you are looking for a good step by step of stick and gas welding and cutting. With none of the other welding covered then this is the one for you. *
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-03-2013 at 07:59 AM.
    Glen

Default Welding, Principals and Applications 3rd ed

Welding, Principals and Applications 3rd
    by: Larry Jerffus
    Delmar Publishers
    copyright ©1993
    ISBN#0-8273-5048-1

Well as text books go it was a pretty good read, All though I will say that when ever you are buying a text book type book or one in a field that changes or advances rapidly. You have to make sure the copyright date is recent (3to4 years) or that it has been revised to keep up with the advances.

It has lots of B&W pictures, drawings and diagrams. Along with some color pictures in a section related to the chapters that can use color pictures to show things better.

It probably is on the shelf at your local library *
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-03-2013 at 07:50 AM.
    Glen