Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Welding Books:Welding Essentials 2nd edition

Default Welding books:Basic Elecrtricty,Solid State, Paralleling welding machines

Miller student package deal. About a package deal that Miller has on their web site. I will go over the separate books and booklets
    student packagehttp://www.millerwelds.com/education/tools/

PDF's downloadshttp://www.millerwelds.com/education...pamphlets.html

Basic Electricity
    by G K Willecke
    Miller Electric
    soft cover book
    copyright ©1954

Well it is just what it says it is only thing they add in side is that it is aimed or written for arc weldors. On the electrical fundamentals, Just shy of 100 pages.
    It covers in 17 chapters most everything a person working with welding equipment needs to know in operation and the why.

* Fundamental concepts
    * Definitions
    * Current flow
    * Facts & figures
    * Magnetic fields
    * Faraday's contributions
    * Induction
    * Transformers
    * current voltage lag
    * Cosine phase angle
    * Theory and practice
    * Joules and watts
    * DC
    * How much measuring current
    * Electron's at rest
    * When trouble strikes
    * Hieroglyphics electrical symbols

The director of electrical research at Miller at the time used the method of writing this book with some humor, and a lot analogies.
    Including the titles so they may not make sense when looking at the contents. I have changed some of the titles of the chapters to reflect the contents of same.
    It still covers all the basics of welding machine electrical.

Solid State Fundamentals
    by Miller
    soft cover booklet
    copyright©2005

Another of the basic volumes so you can understand solid state operation and components. if nothing else than for trouble shooting a unit before hauling it off to the shop.

* Basic Electricity
    * Solid State Components
    * How a Solid State welding Power Source Works
    * Why use solid State
    * Welding Terms Glossary and Explanation of Electrical Parts

And Tim Taylor of tool time's favorite MORE POWER!
    Paralleling Arc Welding Power Sources
    by Miller
    soft cover booklet
    copyright ©2005

When the job requires a higher amperage than is available from one unit you can hook up multiple units. Two or more as long as they are electrically similar. the current goes up but the voltage remains the same.

* Paralleling
    * Recommended Equipment
    * Selecting cables sizes
    * A Nomogram for Computing weld cable size
    * drawings of hook ups
    * Other Equipment information what not to parallel

All have the safety information, line drawings when needed.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Default GMAW-P Pulsed Spray Transfer

Miller student package deal. About a package deal that Miller has on their web site. I will go over the separate books and bookletshttp://www.millerwelds.com/education/tools/
    PDF's downloads http://www.millerwelds.com/education...pamphlets.html

GMAW-P Pulsed Spray Transfer
    by Miller
    Soft cover booklet
    copyright ©1994

It is a training booklet, that comes with a test and if you pass it and want to send Miller a $3.00 check with the test card(they correct it ) You will get a certificate of completion for GMAW-P theory.

* History of GMAW
    * Modes of GMAW transfer
    * Equipment for GMAW-Pulsed Spray Transfer
    * Equipment hookup and Parameter selection
    * Preparing to weld
    * Safety
    * Summary
    * Glossary

It has drawings, charts and B&W pictures covering the process.
    At the end it has the 50 question multiple guess test if you care to find out how much you learned.
    Glen
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Default Handbook for Resistance Spot Welding,Arc Stud Welding Fundamentals

Miller student package deal. About a package deal that Miller has on their web site. I will go over the separate books and booklets purchase http://www.millerwelds.com/education/tools/

Handbook for Resistance Spot Welding
    by Miller ©2007
    soft cover booklet

* Safety Precautions
    * Introduction
    * Fundamentals of Resistance Spot Welding
    * Maintenance and Troubleshooting

If you have one of those hand held pincer style knocks offs or a real miller one this will answer some of the questions you have when you start out using it from why am I tripping the breaker each time to dressing the electrode points. If not it will answer the question can I use one, screen spot welding to frames and other sheet metal jobs.

Arc Stud Welding Fundamentals
    By Miller
    copyright© 2005
    soft cover booklet

* Safety Precautions
    * Arc Stud Welding SW) Guidelines
    * Stud welding Process
    * Weld Inspection/Trouble Shooting

They have given all the information on studs welding to steel tanks or plates. and charts and drawing in both booklets. I have an off brand that was given to me of a type of stud welder that is used for attaching the boiler lagging rivet/studs to the boiler and it pretty much follows the same information path as Millers.
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-06-2008 at 07:30 AM.
    Glen

Default Principles of Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SNAW)

Miller student package deal. About a package deal that Miller has on their web site. I will go over the separate books and booklets purchase http://www.millerwelds.com/education/tools/

Principals of Shielded Metal Arc Welding(SMAW)
    by Miller
    copyright©1997
    Small format booklet

This 18 pages introduction to stick welding(SMAW), is the basics just the basics. Gives the basics movements with drawings to show starting the arc, angle and direction along with the parts that make a good weld or bad.

It all so covers out of position welding. with multi pass welding and a number of electrode sizes and the amperage suggested range for the size of the electrode.
    Clear line drawings with lots of notations.
    glen
    Glen

Miller student package deal. About a package deal that Miller has on their web site. I will go over the separate books and booklets purchase section http://www.millerwelds.com/education/tools/
    PDF's downloads Downloads http://www.millerwelds.com/education...pamphlets.html

Guidelines for Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW)
    by Miller
    copyright©2007

Another slim introduction to the process, With charts and drawings.

* Safety
    * Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW)
    * Modes of GMAW Transfer
    * GMAW Welding Troubleshooting

Covers short circuit,globular and spray transfer methods along with a selections of the gases and mixes used. A much more detail overview is in the full size book covered earlier in the Miller student package.

The only thing I haven't covered is the safety poster, and due to the fact it is OSHA style type approved. It is sort of uninspiring, not like their T shirts with the bright colors and pictures.

Miller Student Package $25.00

* (11) Miller Reference Books
    o GMAW-P (Pulsed MIG) Welding Publication
    o GTAW (TIG) Welding Publication
    o GMAW (MIG) Welding Publication
    o Guidelines for GMAW Welding
    o The Fundamentals of Solid State
    o Principles of Arc Welding
    o Handbook for Resistance Spot Welding
    o Arc Stud Welding Fundamentals
    o Paralleling Arc Welding Power Sources
    o Basic Electricity
    o Welding and the World of Metals
    * Universal Safety Symbol Poster
    * (3) Miller Slide Calculators — Stick, MIG, and TIG

Most items will ship within 24 hours. If you prefer, you can also order by calling us at 920-735-4356.

Shipping and handling charges are already included in all prices.

The books if you buy them and everything else separate would be knocking around $100.00
    And buy the way you all are students here.
    The poster is sort of lame but then its an OSHA type so no punch like the t shirts.
    Glen

Default Welding,Cutting & Heating Guide

Welding,Cutting & Heating Guide
    By Victor equipment company
    copyright©1977
    Booklet soft cover,
    Victor is now thermadyne and here is there PDF download page for parts and service manuals http://www.thermadyne.com/victor/com...ib/Itemid,271/

Most jump right in to Oxygen/fuel cutting no matter which flavor you prefer.
    With little thought or knowledge of the correct parameters for getting the job done correctly and economically.
    I have to admit that I to fell in to this group to. I picked this up and it was years before I sat down and read it. It was amazing what I didn't know!

* General Safety Information, the things to keep you safe
    * Industrial Gases, in addition to the usual suspects their was and is a whole group of fuel gases for cutting specialized work
    * Oxy/Fuel Apparatus Description and Function, all the bits and pieces
    * Setting Up the Equipment for Welding, from the cylinder out to adjusting the flame
    * Welding Procedures, from metal prep to when you finish
    * Setting the Equipment for Cutting,from cylinders to flame adjustment and piercing
    * Oxy/Fuel Cutting Operations from tip selection to how to achieve a quality cut
    * Operational and Performance Data,charts, charts, charts, From a chart on the correct pressures and cutting tip sizing with the different fuel gases To orifice and drill size and finally the pressure drop and amount of correction in the hose sets to achieve the proper working pressure at the torch
    * And finally a very complete glossary of gas welding terminology

They have an abundance of parts operating manuals in PDF format their web site. Don't know which one the above booklet is but the information will be in one or more of their others. *
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-03-2013 at 07:15 AM.
    Glen

Default RegO Welding & Cutting Handbook

RegO Welding & Cutting Handbook
    by RegO company
    copyright©1976
    soft cover booklet

A name with a long history in the welding field, They manufactured regulators, torches and complete set ups on and off again for and under their own brands. Also for National Cylinder Gas, Chemetron, and the some of the Sears Craftsman label.

Currently they don't show any torches or regulators under their own brand on the company web site. RegO/Rexair, is the name. You can get torches tips for the torches from The Goss company herehttp://www.gossonline.com/site/Rexarc_Rego_Tips.php

This booklet was used as a student guide in some high school welding classes, and was included in the complete set ups. It starts with an introduction to the RegO torch line and covers safety, warranty,it does cover welding, brazing and cutting.
    With drawings,and a number of charts covering their torches, tips and the proper welding of the most common joints. To the proper shutting down of the welding or cutting equipment.
    It also goes into the proper cutting of metals whether thin sheet or thicker material.
    It does have some B&W pictures of just about every possible combination of factors affecting the cut and kerf of material. *
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-03-2013 at 07:17 AM.
    Glen

A great many books have been written on arc welding and no doubt some bring up points that others don't.
    Two books that I have found to be as informative as any are;
    Arc Welding Lessons for Farm and Shop.
    Metals and How To Weld Them. (Both by Lincoln)
    Watching a good welder through another shield is probably the best help
    you can have, especially for out of position welding.

Default The RegO guidebook to cutting torches

The RegO guidebook to cutting torches
    By RegO
    Copyright ©1978
    out sized booklet

It covers all their cutting torches, at the time it was printed both the hand cutting and the machine mounted torches. With B&W pictures of each and a complete description of them. It has a fold out chart with drawings of each tip that is available with an end view of the orifice shapes and patterns. for all the types of fuel gas and torches.
    Along with a color coded chart of which tip goes to what torch. *
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-03-2013 at 07:18 AM.
    Glen

Default Brazing & Soldering Manual

Brazing & Soldering Manual (collectible)
    for the services trades
    All-State welding alloys
    Booklet small format
    copyright 1967

A very interesting little booklet, that the web has now replaced. As the corporate virus of got to be the big outfit. Has had this company purchased by ESAB All-State site pages
    http://products.esabna.com/EN/home/f...6eec6.11961741

The first section is a how to of brazing & soldering defined. flux, solder and pre cleaning and post cleaning.

The middle is a product data sheets for their line of products at the time. with charts and pictures and drawings of the proper connections for the service trades ( H&C along with refrigerations systems.)
    They typically have the procedure to use the product, and applications.

The finial section is more of the technical hints and tips, along with techniques,for doing it right.
    If you come across one it is a keeper.
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-12-2008 at 07:26 AM.
    Glen