Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welding Books:Welding Essentials 2nd edition

Hybrid View

Default Welding Books:Shop skill books, foundry, projects and design

I did this series of book reviews for another forum I moderate on. I'm bring the welding books over to this forum.

After receiving the last two books I ordered. And reading one and the sections that caught my eye in the contents of the other.I thought that some of the other members might find them of interest.
    Having 10 or so books on welding text book type and the others. Most bog you down with a lot of info that you will never need if you are an artists/hobbyist or even a certified daily working welder. And they all seem to lack the info that comes up from time to time that we all need.
    I have two candidates that I feel are a must have for the newbe or old hand.

The first is:
    Welding Essentials 2nd edition
    questions & answers
    ISBN# 978-0-8311-3301-6
    by William Galvery and Frank Marlow
    Industrial Press
    Trade paper back

It is in a question and answer format that covers what is the most asked questions on safety, general welding of most types, as the contents page lists. With out all the theory and mumbo jumbo the text books put in.
    In its 500 plus pages it has a great glossary with clear to the point definitions. Good clear illustrations. And a simple to understand safety info. Some fun stuff, ok I'm an fact geek for off beat info. Like what do all those numbers mean stamped on the neck are of the tanks etc.

http://www.industrialpress.com/en/default.aspx
    Is the publishers web site. If you get it from other places make sure you get the 2nd edition as I was told some other venues were selling the 1st edition as the latest. The 2nd ed has some addition information.
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 03-22-2011 at 12:00 PM.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Default Welding Fabrication & Repair

Welding Fabrication & Repair
    questions&answers
    by Frank Marlow PE
    Industrial Press
    ISBN #0-8311-3123-3
    Again in the Q&A format, Dealing with real world fabrication issues. And tips and insights for solving them. They give clear concise info on the correct terms descriptions. Of steel, piping, tubing, and other stuff we tend not to know the correct terms or use age of scheduling # of pipe/tube and the wall thickness. Again the contents page and the back cover says it all.
    If you weld these two should be on you shelf.
    The publisher web site http://www.industrialpress.com/en/default.aspx

Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-02-2008 at 07:53 AM.
    Glen
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Default Audels Pipefitters and welders pocket manual

Audels
    Pipefitters and welders pocket manual
    by: Charles N. McConnell
    ISBN#0-02-034624-7
    copyright©1997 small trade paperback
    Macmillan Publishing

From soup to nuts these cover a generous amount of information in a small package. Lots of drawings, photo's, charts and tables. Not in depth on any one area, but enough to get through most things that come up and stump the experts.
    As these are for the working in the trade. But are great for the occasional user.http://www.mtroubleshooting.com/ sells them and a number of others
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-02-2008 at 07:52 AM.
    Glen

Default Welding Secrets 2nd edition (Historical context)

Welding Secrets 2nd edition
    by: Hal Wilson
    copyright 1990
    Flyco Machine co.
    ISBN#0-9700554-0-4
    http://www.mtroubleshooting.com/ is were you can get it but.

This 60 pager should rightly be called a welding shop tip book, as more than half are dealing with other shop stuff. The other thing this I believe, was originally conceived and done in the 40's 50's or 60's
    and reprinted in the 90's.
    I know that most work as far as welds go on amusement rides should be done by a cert'ed welder like the flying coaster tracks, and a lot of the other secrets. Should remained for the history books as most of the charts and tables in the appendix are from the Lincoln company.
    And shop work and welding have come far from these tips. Welding truck frames,shafts and everything else. Most are only a short paragraph. There are a lot of B&W pictures that also look and give the vintage feel. Like looking thru the family album at the old slightly darkened pictures from time.
    Again for somebody right of the street,and having an interest in absorbing a lot of shop info, it may be a good buy. But for an old hand it isn't worth it.
    Glen

Default Welding Basics An introduction to Practical & Ornamental Welding

Welding Basics
    An introduction to Practical & Ornamental Welding
    by Editors
    Creative Publishing International
    http://www.creativepub.com
    copyright ©2004 Trade paperback
    ISBN#1-589923-139-2

This is one you will see at the local home center, and other places that sell things of a mechanical nature. A slick paper full color, every tool new shot in a studio.(photo) With nary a spark burn in site.
    Covers the standard for a basic intro book. On the types of welding, and cutting along with the equipment needed.

The second sections is 23 shop projects for the beginner level.
    They are simple and clean in design. And could be done to good effect by the old hands to.
    Shop,(rolling weld curtain frame,carts table)
    Lighting,(lamps and candle holders)
    Furniture(coat rack, kitchen stuff, headboard)
    Outdoor(gate,boot brush and arbor).

All in all It is a well written and photographed intro welding and simple projects. If you have people asking about an inexpensive book this is probably the one to fill the bill.

Along with the great projects for the gifting season or all right what are you going to do with all them tools now that you got them.
    Glen

Default Oxy-Acetylene welding manual

Oxy-Acetylene welding manual
    by:NCG
    Stock number 400124-28
    copyright©1950
    booklet small format

You may only come across this one at a garage sale or in the sale bin at a flea market. But it is an interesting handy guide. It is chock full of gas welding info with good clear drawings and pictures. Mostly of their brand of product.
    It has good descriptions of all the equipment plus Acetylene generators and calcium carbide.

I don't even know if NCG is still around or what name it is now they may have an update version. You can always ask ypur supplier if their company puts out a booklet.
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-02-2008 at 07:51 AM.
    Glen

Quote Originally Posted by PTSideshow
    Welding Secrets 2nd edition
    by: Hal Wilson
    copyright 1990
    Flyco Machine co.
    ISBN#0-9700554-0-4
    http://www.mtroubleshooting.com/ is were you can get it but.

This 60 pager should rightly be called a welding shop tip book, as more than half are dealing with other shop stuff. The other thing this I believe, was originally conceived and done in the 40's 50's
    Although there is some worthwhile information in this book, it is over priced
    for what you get, should have twice as many tips as what its got.

Default The Materials and Methods of Sculpture

The Materials and Methods of Sculpture
    Jack C Rich
    Dover publications
    http://www.doverpublications.com
    This is the republication of the 1988 Dover edition of the nitnth printing of the original 1947 Oxford edition
    Trade paperback
    ISBN 0-486-25742-8
    Copyright ©1974,1947by Jack C Rich

I have to start off with the disclaimer about some of the methods and materials found and published in this original book. Are no longer considered safe to use today. Yes it is a new edition and nothing was changed from the original.

That being said this could be called a mini version of Oppi Untracht Jewelry concepts and technology, for the sculpture arts.
    I skimmed the book,and read over a couple of sections. It lives up to its hype and the one time I was shown a hard cover first edition.

The Anatomy of Sculpture

The Plastic Earths, from the most basic to the latest in 1947. natural prep, modeling, casting, firing.

Plastic Wax, modeling,carving,and composition clay.

Plaster of Paris, from the historical to the everything in between. Chemical,mixing,phenomenon of setting surface treatments, coloring,mold making for non ferrous metals, carving etc.

Casting, molds and types agar,gelatine,glue,Krogel, plaster,rubber,sulphur,and wax.

Metals, after some discussion of use of metals and the characteristics it go on to alloys and from Aluminum, to Wood's metal and zinc and everything in between. Along with the good points and bad suggested methods and casting info. enough that at the time the book was written one could make an informed decision abut what would work and what wouldn't.

The surface treatment of metals, from Bidri,bronzing, plating,ecthing and others. to the patination, cleaning of bronze polishing and old school method of hot and cold lacquering of metal.

Stone all the basics you need to know about stone and the types, the common and not so common types, durability and outdoor exposure, the preservation of stone.

Sculpture in Stone, Tools and equipment,methods of approach to stone carving, and the craving and treatment of stone.

Wood, again all the basics to pick the direction to go.
    And before the end.

Other Sculptural Materials, from amber to terrazo, and ivory,bone,plastic's,soap, coal,concrete,butter, ice and snow. Along with some other old school stuff that most never heard of.

There are 281 B&W illustrations in 62 plates and some drawings. What I liked about it it covers most of the area that questions crop up on these forums. It is great for use by a metal artist if they would like to add stone/wood base to their work.

Since it is difficult to find out the angle of the chisel to achieve that certain surface on stone, this book shows you. This is one that should be on every sculptors book shelf, no matter what the medium they use. As the cross information will come in handy. It is a good read and I know what I will be doing when I finish this review.
    It is only &16.95 plus shipping from Dover web site it also maybe on sale! *
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 08-09-2013 at 07:06 AM.
    Glen

This is an excellent book for welding Pipe and out of position. and even covers the technique of "Walking the Cup". Check it out at www1.mscdirect.com. Sorry, I tried to paste a picture of it but it would not let me. If you weld pipe, its well worth the money. Easy reading as well. Not full of technical babble like most books.

Your Price: $37.63 ea
    MSC #: 49727985
    Mfr Part #: 0-8311-3141-1

Description: Welding Reference Manuals Applications: Welding Subcategory: Welding Reference Title: Pipe Welding Procedures Publication Type: Publication Author: Hoosbasar Rampaul Publisher: Industrial Press Edition of Publication: 2nd
    Applications: Welding
    Subcategory: Welding Reference
    Title: Pipe Welding Procedures
    Publication Type: Publication
    Author: Hoosbasar Rampaul
    Publisher: Industrial Press
    Edition of Publication: 2nd
    Year Published: 1973
    Number of Pages: 238
    Big Book Page #: 1701

Quote Originally Posted by bobhdus
    This is an excellent book for welding Pipe and out of position. and even covers the technique of "Walking the Cup". Check it out at www1.mscdirect.com. Sorry, I tried to paste a picture of it but it would not let me. If you weld pipe, its well worth the money. Easy reading as well. Not full of technical babble like most books.

Your Price: $37.63 ea
    MSC #: 49727985
    Mfr Part #: 0-8311-3141-1

Description: Welding Reference Manuals Applications: Welding Subcategory: Welding Reference Title: Pipe Welding Procedures Publication Type: Publication Author: Hoosbasar Rampaul Publisher: Industrial Press Edition of Publication: 2nd
    Applications: Welding
    Subcategory: Welding Reference
    Title: Pipe Welding Procedures
    Publication Type: Publication
    Author: Hoosbasar Rampaul
    Publisher: Industrial Press
    Edition of Publication: 2nd
    Year Published: 1973
    Number of Pages: 238
    Big Book Page #: 1701
    Here is the publisher's web site. http://www.industrialpress.com/en/default.aspx
    Glen