Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic Press Safety

Default Hydraulic Press Safety

Just bought one - 12 ton - floor model with a bottle jack.

Wondering how to use it safely and what actions should be avoided.

I guess it should be capable of bending 90 degrees into mild steel? What dimensions would be appropriate? Where would I obtain dies? Or sources to make? special safety rules for bending vs pressing in bearings?

Any other thoughts welcome (preferably on-topic...)

This is actually a good saftey reminder to bring up occasionally.

You can make your own bendng dies fairly easy,there are various designs out on the web and the members here probably have quite a few too.

Don't use anything that might be cast iron in the press for bending or pressing especially vee-blocks.Cast parts can explode when loaded down.

Always use a caliper to verify shaft diameter and bearing bore diameter before assembling(more on this later)

Always make sure the parts being pressed are centered under the ram and square to the press bed.

I had a friend who was a mechanic.He died when a piece of shrapnell from a bearing race that exploded went through his heart.The auto parts store sold him the wrong bearing for his year model axle and the fit was too tight.When he tried to press it on the bearing exploded.It was only a 20 ton press,but bearing steel is very brittle.Always check the fit before pressing.

A good idea when pressing bearings is to have a piece of lexan or plexi-glass sheild between you and the part just in case.If all else fails a piece of heavy cloth or a shop rag wrapped around the part is better than nothing.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Body armour is now your coveralls in a construction track press shop and even thats hopin shrapnel aims for the vest, 200 tons and a wish.......well havin a remote behind a plate of 1/2" helps...........aligment and fit is the key.

Thanks for asking that question. I hope to get my 50 ton press refurb work done soon and now I don't have to be the one to ask

These are some great tips. I didn't think about the failure mode for cast iron....given its grain structure, it makes sense.

I notice that some company that makes presses and parts for same on Ebay also sells a bearing "scattershield" of sorts. It may be pretty inconvenient, but it looks like cheap insurance and I think it was under $10. Its a sort of upside down steel Cool Whip tub with a hole for the ram in the top.

Paul
    Paul Carpenter
    Mapleton, IL

You can get a press brake at Northern Tool. My friend can bend 1/4" steel plate 90 degrees using it in a 20-ton shop press. 12-ton will probably do 3/16. I always try to stand to the side of the press as much as possible when it's in use.

iv only got a 12 ton and I hide behind a piece of 1/2 plywood or a plate of 1/8" aluminum --- presses scare me, one of my shields did take a huge shot one day,
    unless going mild and everything coasting along i dont mess around and use it.

Default Common sense.

Go into your local hydraulic press suppliers shop and have a look at the "Safety" items in the Owner's handbook/Manual. It is a good starting point.

Lots of common sense is a real asset.

Taking risks is anything but.

I think the most dangerous conditions with a press is a part shattering or a piece your using between the ram and the work to push on the work flys out. Both of those can hurt or kill you or someone nearby.
    It's only ink and paper

I agree with Weird about wrapping a heavy cloth around the piece being pressed, but my recomendation would be a long chain wrapped around the part. Even a "small"? 12 ton press can generate some extreme pressures. Be careful!!! JIM
    jim

Only "cloth" id consider is kevlar...