Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20X48 Axleson

Default 20X48 Axleson

Good morning fellow '' just got a new toy'' members, and all other interested parties.
    The lathe that I looked at and posted about a few weeks ago has a new temp. home. I went to pick it up with our topkick flatbed and our 6k lb. forklift earlier this week. Well the topkick left empty, the best I could manage is to tilt forward,raise to motor stall, restart forklift and then tilt back to motor stall. I think I got it about 8-10 inches off the floor. It is funny the looks you get while driving down the street with a 12 foot wide load on a fork lift going 3 mph . I took it to our shop about 3/4 of a mile from where I bought it, lucky it was not any farther.
    So it looks like it is going to be a while befor it gets to come home, either both the 6k and 5k forklift, topkick truck and trailer and mytruck and trailer or a 10k rental forklift . The neighbors get restles when our quiet court gets that much equipment activity , especialy in front of my house. .
    Re wired the motor from 460v t0 230 v and wired it to the knife switch disconnect for the air compressor to see if it runs , I need to get a new mag. starter hooked up.
    Wow, it purrs like a kitten, well a kitten on steroids .
    I got to get some tooling to the shop so I can make chips.

Steve

Thumbs up

Yikes, that has got to be a beast! Look forward to pictures of the monster! Be careful Fred

Yes to pictures of that brute.

"going 3 mph"
    Around my part of the country you'd have to slow down for old men in pick up trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea
    Yes to pictures of that brute.

"going 3 mph"
    Around my part of the country you'd have to slow down for old men in pick up trucks
    Here are the pics.

I snapped the pics before they had all their junk out of the way so it was a little crowded getting the shots. I didn't have the camera on moving day.

I guess when I re-sized the pics I did something wrong , now I feel like one of your old men in a slow pickup truck.

I need a nap now, that was a brutal learning experiance with photo bkt. that required My 16 yr old to bail Me out .

Steve

Thumbs up Re: Axleson

Steve....That is in beautiful shape! I couldn't help but notice how much the apron on that machine looks like the American Pacemakers. It is just a pleasure to run one of those. Congrats on your new baby.
    Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Thanks Jim, the front way has an ugly deep scratch that is bugging Me but I'm going to have to call it an oil groove for now. I can't wait to get the new contactor wired up and make chips.
    Steve

Wow what a nice tailstock, - I think I'm in love..................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Well, I read this post about 20 minutes after you posted and wrote a reply but the hotel internet conked out before I could click "post"...

Awsome machine! I am really glad you were able to snag that beast. I was wondering about it just the other day.

When you go to move it to its permanent home, make sure you pick a good time so as not to offend the neighbors. I personally find that 3 or 4 in the morning is an excellent time. Make sure you use your jake brakes, if the truck is equipped. Otherwise, a few honks and excessive reving are all that is needed.

Thanks for the pics, too. Looks great! I'm surprised the 6K forklift lifted them up. The 6K used to unload my Pacemakers stalled out the hydraulic system if you tried to lift the machine more than about a 1/2" - and those were only 16 by 30's.

Default Tail stock

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevenson
    Wow what a nice tailstock, - I think I'm in love..................

That tail stock has a 2 speed feed wheel. Hard to see but I beleive the carrage also has a 2 speed shift on the bottom left side. We got one like that at work. 20"x98"(?). Mostly we just turn the power on and off because no one can adjust the clutch to not drift or go into reverse. Nice heavy machines!

mark61

I'm going to guess at least 9000, not going to load that with a 6K lift, not safely anyway.
    James Kilroy