Thread: Does anyone use the CDCO DRO?

Default Does anyone use the CDCO DRO?

I need a DRO and am considering the CDCO DRO. Is anyone using one and how do you like it?
    It's only ink and paper

Default dro

I bought a Sino dro for my mill 2 axis. Works great the instruction book in in Chinglish & usless. My advice is spend more and get a better one with support.

I have decided to buy a M20 Newal from can do machinery.
    It's only ink and paper

I have a 3 axis SINO on my mill, the manual is not very helpful but gave me enough clues to work out all the functions and the operation of the unit is good, impressive enough that I've just bought a 2 axis for the lathe,
    Regards,
    Nick

I have one (Sino) on my lathe. Works great. You have to decide how much you want to pay for a good manual. The one that comes with the Sino is horrible. However, the Sino is around $460...making it at least $300-400 cheaper than a bigger name brand. There are enough folks here with one that perhaps you could argue that there is a "support group" who have figured out some of the workings. Some came from use of the manual, poor as it is. Still other things I figured out by "sperimenting"

I have an older Newall Topaz for my mill and the models that use the Spherosyn (and Microsyn) scales really are bulletproof. I know little to nothing about their new mill-specific model designed to be competitive with the cheapies, except that it includes some form of magnetic based scales. Still better than glass...at least in principle, but not to be confused with the capacitive measure Spherosyn scales that made them famous for reliability. I do have to wonder how well anything magnetic will do around metal shards in the long term.

Paul
    Paul Carpenter
    Mapleton, IL

Quote Originally Posted by gr8life
    I bought a Sino dro for my mill 2 axis. Works great the instruction book in in Chinglish & usless. My advice is spend more and get a better one with support.
    Why what more will an expensive one do ?
    I have a Sino on the Bridgeport mill drill and it works fine, the manual isn't to easy but once you have worked your way thru the buttons you can throw it away.
    It's only a big calculator anyway.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Glad to hear some positive feedback on the Sino DROs - just purchased a PM1440HD lathe from Matt at Quality Machine which came with a Sino SDS6-2V installed as part of a 'bonus' package that included a wedge-type QC toolpost & holders, taper attachment, and collet closer. I've got Newall C80s on my other lathe & vertical mill, so wasn't sure about the quality of the Sino, especially as it's included as a more-or-less 'freebie'. I agree they could've done a better job of writing the manual, but at the same time, I think most of what they were trying to convey can be deciphered with a little head-scratching. It's almost entertaining - if you're not in a hurry.
    Regards,
    Dennis

Is there a source from some one other the CDCO. I had a problem with something I ordered from them a while back, and they would not answer e-mails, so am a little reluctant to buy something worth that much from them.

I had the best luck calling CDCO ("Frank") and have never been treated poorly. I am wondering if your emails are getting spam filtered or something. I have emailed years ago and the owner mailed back and asked me to call him since the question needed clarified.

Paul
    Paul Carpenter
    Mapleton, IL