Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Living the Good Life - Tool Gloat

Default Living the Good Life - Tool Gloat

In case you guys didn't think I was a lucky b*astard when I picked up my lathes, this will surely change your mind!

First up: Carbide!

According to CarbideDepot, there is a little over $750 here in carbide - some 95 individual pieces. These were given to me by the FSAE shop after the Kennametal rep left a bucket of carbide there. We called him to ask him if he wanted it back but he said we could keep it. Alot of it was too big or didn't fit existing holders so the manufacturing group leader said I could have it. I'm probably the best machinist there, not because I'm particularly good but because most of the other guys there are not so hot. They see machining as a means to an end where as machining is a passion for me. I actively pursue my interest in machining and thats put me a little ahead of the curve. ;-) Because of that, I get alot of perks. Not least of which is the hard jobs. When something needs to be made that no one else can figure out how to do it or when a machine needs to be repaired, they call me. Its really alot of fun. I get to prance around and pretend like I know what I'm doing!

And then ...
    The Cloud and Aersol Sciences lab is undergoing a renovation and alot of equipment was being thrown out or sent to surplus. Employees had first pick!

Misc buttons, rivets, pins, etc - copper, brass and iron

An awsome capacitor

Various DC motors:

Last edited by Fasttrack; 09-05-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Default A few more...

A whats-ma-jigger from West Germany. Anyone know what this is?

A vacuum pump (currently not working) and a big Crane valve

Misc tiny gears and counters and even a fast-action solenoid controlled butterfly valve

A Gast vacuum pump - new!
    Last edited by Fasttrack; 09-05-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Default Last one!

A HP power supply - 60 VDC and 15 amps

And a 3-phase variac - 0-220v and 15 amps

And a big box of misc IC's - no idea whats all there yet

Last edited by Fasttrack; 09-05-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Good score.

Your German "Whats-ama-jigger" is a voltage regulator/transformer.

You forgot to mention the tire, a pair of boots and a right lower pant leg.
    Last edited by ERBenoit; 09-05-2008 at 06:25 PM.
    Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Thanks!

I'll have to play around with the voltage regulator. I guess it must be like a variac? Its got an adjustable knob like one...

Yeah so if anyone needs something, I hope they post here! I don't mind sharing some of my goodies if there is a real need for it. I can and will use all of this stuff at one point, but most of you guys have been really generous sharing goodies with me, so I don't mind returning the favor!

Carl Zeiss is a maker of microscopes. What you have is a (variac like) source to be used with incandesent lights used to illuminate a sample in a microscope. Lighting needs to be adjustable to compensate for filters, polarizers and different samples.

Dave J.

Quote Originally Posted by Fasttrack
    Yeah so if anyone needs something, I hope they post here! I don't mind sharing some of my goodies if there is a real need for it. I can and will use all of this stuff at one point, but most of you guys have been really generous sharing goodies with me, so I don't mind returning the favor!
    I need all those carbide inserts... Yeah, really, I do! Oh well, it was worth the try...

Nice score! I'm currently shopping the local market to gather up some big carbide holders (negative rake) to go with my new lathe. Assuming I ever get it running. Sure is taking a long time for a "ready to run lathe"... Now mostly back together, but I've got a way lube pressure circuit leak to deal with, and still have to get the big RPC done. Always something else to do...

Think Im actually going from a "goody for you" to kind of an "I hate you kid" attitude... (nice score)

Default Chips -

be interresting to see what IC's are in those tubes. I can't buy any that i recognise any more...