Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT/ We need an aircompressor in the house...

Default OT/ We need an aircompressor in the house...

LOL! It's woodstove time already. We live at the bottom of a big hill and it makes the downdraft wicked. It'll blow out a match when you try to light the stove.
    Big wads of newspaper and cardboard help the stove warm up so it makes an updraft...always takes awhile.
    But...out in the shop...get any kind of small flicker going...then take the air hose after it. Just like Grampas forge
    You can get the stove pipes glowing red in a couple of minutes...so the gurl found out last winter..lol!
    Now I just need to talk the missus into giving up her stereo rack thing...for room for a 5 hp upright...60 gallon tank...watch them flames roll!!!
    That should really compliment the living room decor...don't ya think?
    I have a nice shiny new red 7hp compressor but I think that'd clash with some damm thing.... you know how wimmin are with their colors.
    So what do you think guys?
    Any good ideas how to pretty up an aircompressor so it'd fit in with the latest designer livin room?
    Or will I be stayng at a Holiday Inn shortly
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Default Pipe

Torker,
    Give your lady a break, just pipe it in from the shop. But she has to vacuum up the ashes.

- Scott

Talking

Pint It Baloo

How about a portable tank you can bring in for startup? Or a shop vac with the hose positioned to "blower"?

David
    Montezuma, IA

Russ, don't waste a new air compressor for lightin fires.
    Weld a fitting onto the stove with a one way valve so that you can you can hook it up to the exhaust of your shopvac. This way the little woman can be vacuuming while getting the stove lit. She will thank you, as women are always proud of how good they are at multi-tasking.

Watch the classifieds for what is called a "dental compressor". Most are a quarter to a half horsepower, super quiet, and designed to be put in a cabinet and ignored by a non-mechanical dentist. It should make a nice addition to any living room.

Willy....lol! Damm that was funny!!
    I would run a pipe from the shop but I'm having trouble getting the missus to dig a ditch for the pipe. Gotta keep the place looking sleek and orgainized you know...
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

i thought up north there, you only needed to light the stove once a year, sometime between early and mid september. . . . . . . and it burns pretty steady until mid june ? ? ?

I use a hairdryer. Wifey's big ol' noisy one. Sounds like a 747 firing up. I use it starting the BBQ charcoal as well. Gotta be careful though. If you overdo it, you may end up with a China Syndrome. Ya'll are old enough to remember that movie I hope?

Hairdryers are also great for lawn mower/weed-eater/tillers at the 1st start of the season. Heat up the carb, head & intake manifold and they usually start on the 1st pull. My neighbors thought I was nuts dragging out the ol' orange extension cord and a big ugly hairdryer until they saw every small engine I own running in no time in 40 degree weather. 1st or 2nd pull on all of 'em.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Hair dryers are pretty impressive --- I mussa melted a gazillion lbs of Aluminum in one of Gingerys forges with a common dryer blowing those coals! So kinda stands to reason one of the shop-vacs would really do a 'blow-job'!
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........