Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT That damn disease

I have recently developed a few symptoms of a condition that accompanies Fibromyalgia some of the time. It's called Sjorgrens Syndrome (Show'grens). Among a variety of singularly unpleasant possible symptoms, most of which I do not as yet have (multiple organ failure for instance), it also carries a 44 times increase in the risk of lymph gland cancer of the nodes in the jaw. This is not operable nor is radiation a viable treatment. My risk, instead of being one in 4400 is now apparently 1 in 100.

I never did think I would die of old age.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

I never did think I would die of old age.
    Party on DUDE... Enjoy what you got, for a minute, or a hundred years. *Janis Joplin rough quote?

If you are hanging on too tight, you never really live.

There is life after death, I know some of you are Non-believers but I have seen things when my parents passed away that told me I was in a presence, and nobody physically was there. Just to think of a day when you can dump this worldly body for one you have not torn up yet? Be it a spark of static electricity or a misty cloud? At least it's knees won't squeak and pop huh?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjgYsHt71XE
    I so love motorcycles cause I used to dream of flying across the ground, skimming low and fast.. Ohh to be turned loose from using a vtwin to power it.
    Excuse me, I farted.

I feel for you, and wish you the best, for what it's worth.

I seem to be looking down the barrel of a very big gun, and I can see the fuse burning. Both sides of my family tree, maternal and paternal, all have a VERY high Cancer mortality rate in the males, but much less in the females. Females often live to at least mid-90s dying of typical "worn out" issues. But males almost universally die early of cancer. Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma is common but not universal. I haven't done an actual analysis, but the window of risk seems to start at about 50, with the curve peaking dramatically at around 60-65, and leading to almost 100% mortality in males by about 70 (one great grandfather lived to about 91 and one great uncle to 74 or so). Other than that, they all fall in that range and with the exception of one violent injury related death, all died horribly of cancer. Me, my luck tends to run bad for anything that I can't directly influence, so I'm figuring that at 42 I have at most 10-15 years left, 20 at the outside. My father is now pushing the high side of the curve at 65, so perhaps things are changing, but I'm not betting on it...

I figure I have been living on "free time" for a long time now. I should have died any number of times in the past. From the time that both my parents came down with polio (and recovered), the time I fell 40 feet into a deep ravine, the time I came within inches in the gravel on a Norton Atlas 750 with a 200 foot cliff right there, the time I was out hiking as a kid and wondered what was making that odd bumble bee whizzing sound just above my head (bullets), the time I was street racing in a rented Mustang and the brakes faded to nothing at all in the Berkeley hills, the time I sat on a commercial plane for two hours while they waited for the snow to clear, then switched planes and flew to Vancouver and the other plane went to Terrace and crashed killing all. And, there were other times I won't talk about.

I've been on a free ride so I can't complain.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Iv had too many to count, but of all the motorcycles stories and white water kayaking and mountain biking stuff there's two incidences that kind of stick out,
    The 156mph high speed wobble on my CBR F1 600
    And the time me and My brother got towed by a crazy friend when we were young, he was in a buick electra 225 and we were in a mercury cougar, our "friend" put the pedal to the metal for miles, we burnt through our brakes, we got up to 102 MPH and it was by chain!!! we no longer had the ability to take up slack (cuz we had no brakes) so occasionally we would gain and then BAMMM, the electra's ass end looked like it wanted to swap once in awhile as we would also get off line slightly, It was so scary...

Both my nephew and brother in law are still hanging on but both are deteriorating.

Found this article may interest some of you.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20.../health.cancer

Too late for Nick though. David

By the way this Dr Johann de Bono is involved in my nephew Nicks case, his wife met with him yesterday, he didn't give her any hope as Nicks cancer is too far advanced, poor man is only 47, his wife Tracy has been advised to stay at the hospital tonight .
    Last edited by David S Newman; 09-21-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David S Newman
    I'm sitting here gutted and want to say a few words, find it hard to talk face to face so i'll bore you people thousands of miles away.
    I wish I had words to make you feel better. I don't know what I'd do if my family died around me.

The important thing is to not withdraw from life. Don't do irrational things and be very careful in everything you do. Your mind is not fully in the game at the moment.

I do feel for you. Feel free to keep talking, we will help you stay real.

Hang in there,

Clutch

Its pretty much the case that if you are a man, and you live long enough, you will get prostate cancer. My family lives in the cancer belt (gulf coast oil and gas industry) and I can't think of a single family that isn't touched by it. Awful thing for families to go through.
    James Kilroy

My nephew Nick died this morning leaving behind a wife and 10 year old son, his dad is in the hospice still, but very serious and not expected to be with us long.
    Just thought i'd let you know. David

I am sorry, David, I wish I had something else to say.