Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT That damn disease

Hybrid View

Default OT That damn disease

I'm sitting here gutted and want to say a few words, find it hard to talk face to face so i'll bore you people thousands of miles away.
    My dad died in 1996 from prostate cancer, after his death his doctor got in touch with me and advised me to have a check up, sure enough I had early stages of it. I had an operation followed by 6 weeks radiotherapy and have been fine ever since I have 6 monthly checks. Well my nephew was diognosed with it at age 40, his mother (my sister) 12 months ago was diognosed with ovarian cancer, this spread and she died in July, now Nick my nephew (her son) is in The Charing Cross hospital the prostate cancer has spread all over him (lungs,bones. nose) , went to see him yesterday , a pitifull sight. To cap it all his father (my brother in law) has been taken into a Mcmillan Hospice with liver cancer. Looks like a whole family will be gone in 3 months, I just can't get my head round it. Looks like this damn disease runs in families, but my brother in law also ? can't believe whats happening.
    Sorry for posting this on an engineering site but has done me good just saying some words. Thanks David

There isn't much to say in a situation such as this. Just take care of yourself as best you can.

On my wife's side of the family one of her uncles was a mining engineer and he and his family lived in the company housing at the Uranium mine when their children were born and grew up. None of their children lived past their thirties as they died riddled with cancer. The houses were built on top of the mine tailings. It isn't always genetic.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Sorry to hear of your situation,like Evan said all you can do is stay vigilant and take care of yourself as best you can.

We recently lost a good friend at work.He died from Liver cancer that resulted from stage 4 colo-rectal cancer.It runs in his family,his father,mother,two brothers and one sister all had it.He never got a colonoscopy when he turned 50,if he had they may have caught it early.

All I can say is if someone here has a family history of cancer then please go through screening.Prostrate,colon and pancreatic cancers are stealth killers.You seldom ever have symtoms until it's too late.

I have two relative on my fathers side that have had colon cancer.Even though they both had it late in life I have decided to get checked at 40 instead of waiting until 50.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

well wales aint thousands of miles away so i'll reply, i am sorry for your loss, a little angry about the state of the countrys cancer care [my sister in law and brother in law recently died of cancer but lived close by a petrochemical plant owned by BP, in fact the whole dam street has at least 1 death in each house due to cancer, not a hot spot you understand at least thats what goverment say cos they are all different types of cancer]
    i have a theory that chemicals dont cause the cancer directly but disable the imune response directly and that there is a virus at work, immunisation against cancer?
    did they live near industrial activity?
    ramble over rant simmering
    take care
    mark

Unhappy

Yep... just lost my grandmother to cancer less than 24 hours ago. At least it was at home, with friends and family around, and I got to talk to her before she passed away. I think I'm more worried about how my father will take it, as they were fairly close. Worse, cancer seems to run in my father's side of the family, so chances are fair that I or any future children will get it at some point in the future.

You all take care of yourselves, hear?

-Brian
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice... but in practice, there is.

sorry to hear of your agony.
    i am one of the lucky ones. i have only 9 more visits to go for the radiation treatment of prostrate cancer. it does not run in my family as far as i can tell.

but all or at least most all males will die WITH prostate cancer, hopefully most will not fall victim to it.

mine is a level 2, with good chances of another 10 or 15 years before i need be terribly concerned. im 66 and had no, i repeat NO symptoms other than it was getting difficult to pee. . . . . went for the ream job and the ream scrapings were found to contain some cancer cells.

couldn't remove it because of many prior infections so after the "try to take it out "surgery the next best option was radiation.

damn, they cook your bottom like you can't believe. . . but soon it will be better.

not complaining,, only telling a story.

i guess this will make me a card carrying member of the "survivor" group.

hell, i still can;t even say "cancer" or that i have it. . .

guys, get your physicals, pay attention to your body, its talking to you constantly.

davidh (the old sanford)

Quote Originally Posted by David S Newman
    I'm sitting here gutted and want to say a few words, find it hard to talk face to face so i'll bore you people thousands of miles away.
    I wish I had words to make you feel better. I don't know what I'd do if my family died around me.

The important thing is to not withdraw from life. Don't do irrational things and be very careful in everything you do. Your mind is not fully in the game at the moment.

I do feel for you. Feel free to keep talking, we will help you stay real.

Hang in there,

Clutch

Its pretty much the case that if you are a man, and you live long enough, you will get prostate cancer. My family lives in the cancer belt (gulf coast oil and gas industry) and I can't think of a single family that isn't touched by it. Awful thing for families to go through.
    James Kilroy

My nephew Nick died this morning leaving behind a wife and 10 year old son, his dad is in the hospice still, but very serious and not expected to be with us long.
    Just thought i'd let you know. David

I am sorry, David, I wish I had something else to say.