Thread: Homemade Surface/TC grinder

Default Homemade Surface/TC grinder

Quourn: $$$$$

Three hundred for castings, and how many times that in bar stock.
    I have a better idea. I could make a surface grinder out of way protectors, my own parts, and modifyed mini-mill or micro mill replacement parts. Tiny workspace, but I make tiny stuff.

please take and post lots of pictures

You can find old surface grinders better and cheaper than what you can make.

The spindle is very very important. A cheap spindle from a mini mill or whatever will not cut it. Any flaws in the bearings will show up in your work. Expect $150 for a pair of ABEC7 angular contact bearings.

I would spend your money on a better mill before delving into a surface grinder.

I think it depends on whether you are looking for the accuracy of a surface grinder or just the grinding ability. I've been thinking about turning my 3-in-1 into some type of grinder. I don't want it for the precision that a "real" grinding setup would provide but rather to be able to work hard materials to the same kind of tolerances as other parts in the shop. I don't expect it's neccessary or really very cost-effective, though. One thing if you've already got everything lying around and another if your going out and buying parts.

Norman Atkinson Guest

Default The Quorn

The Quorn! Let's spell the bloody thing correctly!
    1. It isn't a surface grinder, it was designed as a tool and cutter grinder. Read the book, it can be pushed into small surface grinding jobs but it was actually designed to supplement a homemade milling machine with a supply of 1/10th inch diameter milling cutters.
    2. However, I have written many times that a Quorn can be made from fabricated bits welded up.
    3. Macona is right about the availability of good second hand surface grrinders and tool and cutter ones. The bearings are the thing and if you haven't got that right, forget you even put 'pen to paper'
    4. However, going back to Professor Dennis Chaddock, he did give very careful and detailed instructions on how to make a grinding spindle which could be used.

I do apologise for being somewhat terse but
    a. the comments are very recent
    b. very repeated
    c. seemingly ignored

And Yes, I do have a Quorn

Cheers

Norman

radish1us Guest

Norman, now, now, NO need to be SO pedantic !

Norman is right about T&C grinders. They are cheap used. It just all the accessories you want are expensive!

There are plans out there to make the Quorn out of bar stock. The bar stock to finish off the casting kit wouldnt be that much. Either way though the Quorn is not a beginners project.

I believe the quorn used aircraft magneto angular contact bearing in the spindle. Good precision AC bearings do pop up on ebay for really good prices, a fraction of new. But you will need to be able to make an arbor with very accurate journals so it will run well.

FWIW, there was mention in another thread recently of the DIY Bonelle T&C grinder as being an improved version of the Quorn.

There are plans aplenty for both at the Quorn Yahoo group.

Default Hibernating

Welcome back Norm - been hibernating? Do stay away from those bloody Hibernians though!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient..._of_Hibernians

And especially the Rechabites!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepen..._of_Rechabites
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechabites

Its great to see you back in full flight with your tail up and all guns blazing - again!!

Norman Atkinson Guest

Default Homemade Surface grinder

Pedantic??? I am getting bloody footsore, weary, pi55ed off trying to get the message over.
    Some of us have had to come up the hard way without kindly old farts( we are, really) to wipe rear ends.
    There was no bloody internet to be used as a lame excuse for 'couldn't be ar5ed'

I had a phone call last night. It was from a engine fitter who goes back with me those years when he and I were boys of 18. It was 1948 and we put on Royal Air Force uniforms. well, sorry, mine was an old Royal Observor Corps one- with sh1thawks spitting their crap my starved shoulders.
    The real fitters who could mend shagged old Spitfires had gone to service transport aircraft which were taking off and landing every minute day and night. Pilots were falling asleep in the air and were only woken up by Russian searclights piercing the way down into a beleagured Berlin.
    This kid, he's 68+ now had a mere 6 weeks to learn his trade. Johnnie wrote 'I was coached by Sgt Herbert into the complexities of three Spitfires and also Proctors. I did jobs far above my level of training and thanks to his good offices, all went well'
    The years rolled on- the boy and the man met again- 50 years exactly.59 years on, they met again- two frail old men. Over the dinner, the model of that famous Spitfire SL721 was passed over from the boy to the man.
    SL-721 is still in full battle order from those days.Look after the Old Girl well- it's on your side of the Pond now

One wonders whether today's young men will recall the help- like John.