Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1930's mill and modern inserts!

Default 1930's mill and modern inserts!

Holy!... Old meets new! I finally got the fitting job done on my 6" shell mill so it would fit the arbor i've been using for another..older model shell mill.
    The new one uses APKT inserts.
    things are unreal!
    horizontal mill...in a hurry...kinda looked like a light "trim cut"...hmmm...doesn't seem to be cutting..run it in another .025...still nothing...run it in .050...still nothing...ooops...the very rough flame cut Weldox 100...it was totally finish cut!
    This cutter cuts so free you don't even realize it's cutting...total silence...beautiful finish! All the chips go straight down...why I couldn't see it was cutting.
    New(er) tech? I likey!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Fun aren't they,got an 8" face mill at work,just need a NT40 taper to fit it.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Darin.. I've been using the other 6" shell mill that uses TPG inserts. I thought it cut pretty darn nice...til I tried these APKT inserts.
    Funny thing.. I can buy the new inserts...pretty complicated...cheaper than the old TPG inserts. I guess they sell more of the new ones now or something.

Its not an insert shell mill but here's my 5" diam P&W cutter.

Cuts like a dream too, as fast as I can traverse the head, gives a pleasant "rrrrrrrrr" and the chips come off in a tide. DOC .2", width .5" or so, traversing 3". My new fav cutter..

Greg

BillH Guest

Smile

Man! I need to get a face mill that uses those APKT inserts for my harbor freight micro mill!

Lol. Me too.

Sometimes I wonder about making carbon steel multiflute cutters. Seems like if they were run at low RPM but many TPM you would not need HSS

Quote Originally Posted by torker
    Darin.. I've been using the other 6" shell mill that uses TPG inserts. I thought it cut pretty darn nice...til I tried these APKT inserts.
    Funny thing.. I can buy the new inserts...pretty complicated...cheaper than the old TPG inserts. I guess they sell more of the new ones now or something.
    Whoa, the pricing comparison I don't understand. Where you getting APKT's for less than TPG's. My experience has been completely opposite.

I do agree about the APKT's though, I use them in insert end mills.

Quote Originally Posted by torker
    Geeez Russ...where are you getting the APKT???? Even on Ebay the best price I can find for a box of 10 is $93.00C. The TPG best price is $26.00 for good ones
    Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Daytona Tool in Vancouver. Whoa.. I screwed up...the other mill uses SPG...those are more....$1 more each.
    The APTK's...$10 ea...the SPG's are $11 ea.
    The SPG's are older tech...should be cheaper.
    BTW.. I never said the APTK's where actually CHEAP!

Default Shhhhh

Those old Antique Horizontal Mills are worthless.

Not worth even scrap price....