Thread: It has been that long

Default It has been that long

Wow ..Hi guys...It seems that I have not been around since April. Got hit by a truck on my bike in May so that slowed me for a bit.
    I have been trying to keep busy. I was hoping for some metal geeks to have a go at this question.

I need a material that will not mark, gall various forms of metal, it will end up being machined to 1/4 dia. about .300 long and will have a hole drilled in for a pin and will be part of a pusher. This part will be used in a small hand press and will attempt to press out the various types of metal as I mentioned above.. The problem is I have tried several types of materials, aluminum, brass, etc. The problem is if they are soft they mushroom and if harder they break/shear when under pressure when pressing. I have entertained the thought of using steel and then appplying a button at the tip like brass or even nylon to prevent marking.
    If I would give that a go does anyone have an idea what type of adhesive would hold this button on steel?

Basically could use a few suggestions on either what type of metal/alloy to use without the button, so it would have to be non marking. Or what type adhesive to hold a brass/bronze button on the end of a small steel tip.

Thanks in advance.

Oh I am also looking for a smaller surface grinder. Anyone have one for sale or know of one?

Thanks
    Life Is Grand

Bike-vs-truck and the truck won I bet,seems that's the way it usually goes,hope your recovering well.

How about this idea,steel dowel pin,but pull dowels,the ones with the female thread in one end and use an Allen capscrew for the replaceable tip?

http://www.radax.com/store.asp?pid=14585

The dowel is rc 60-62 and the screw is rc-39-42.That should yeild a hard stiff pin and a not so hard,but strong tip.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Have you tried Ampco 32 metal.

http://www.ampcometal.com/en/index_us.php?page=home

I have a bar that I have been using for the past ten years off and on for a punch and have only remachined the end once.

Klem...good to see you back!
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Here is a quick drawing. The pusher is all thread and the tip needs to spin freely from the pusher. The goal is to have the tip not move while the pusher is spinning to apply pressure.

My problem is that the material I have tried for the tips is either too soft or too brittle. I have been thinking of steel for the tip and add a softer button on the end so it will not mark.

I am looking to maybe use an adhesive to hold the button on as it will be only .100 and there would be no meat to hold it any other way. It will only be there to prevent marking.

The ideal solution would be to find a material to make the tip from that would be strong enough to apply the needed pressure and not mark the work or be too brittle where it will shear off. that way I would not need to add a button.

Sorry for the poor computer skills. I do not know how to get the page sized right.

Life Is Grand

1. Braze a lump of built up silicon bronze braizing rod to end of steel and machine to size, should be much harder that the brass.

2. Solder small piece of brass to end of steel pc?

3. Make recess in one or the other and epoxy or locktight your brass, or whatever softer item on ?