Thread: Semi-OT computer question.

Default Semi-OT computer question.

I use an older (v9.2 Deluxe) of TurboCAD for all my shop drawings. It is a paid for product and am very happy with it for my simple 2D stuff. I have it installed on 3 PC's and a lappie at home and 1 PC at work so I can work on the project du joir whenever I get a spare moment.

Apparently I didn't register it during the original install on my PC in the office at home and it now displays "Days Left to Register - 0" and the program will not run. When I click on Register, I get "Page Not Displayed" so I assume IMSI must have kicked v9.2 off its support list.

I tried uninstall/shutdown/reinstall 2 times and got the same problem. I looked around on the TCAD support site this morning with no joy and then a flash of inspiration hit and I changed the year in W2000 to 2006. Voila! all is well again.

Can anyone tell me where I might look in the registry to clear out or change the original TCAD install date so I can keep the PC's date correct?
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Default Another possible "fix"

You might try resetting the date on your PC back to when you installed ithe program - some are "fixed" by doing that - as long as the date on the computer is within the range the program is looking for it runs just fine.

Thanks kf, I did exactly that as mentioned in my post and it worked fine. My hope is that I can delete the original install date in the registry so I can change the PC's date back to normal and TCAD will still run.
    Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Default Get it installed

Thanks for the prompt DickeyBird - very timely advice.

I needed that. I bought a copy of IMSI "DesignCAD" 3DMax v18 quite some months ago to install when I was "into" getting ready to retro-fit CNC to my new SeigX3 mill. It stalled there as I was waiting (still am!!) for the CNC kit.

The CAD is still in the box and not installed and the mill is sitting on a hoist/table still in its original preservative in my shop.

I was in the shop today and thought about cleaning up the mill and giving it a test-run - maybe later in the week. But I had clean forgotten the DesignCAD - many thanks. (It was getting more buried under a pile of stuff I need to read and/or "put away" - I sort it out when it falls onto the floor!! Doesn't everyone? Oh - they don't??? Hmmmm.)

'Tiff I don't think you'll have that problem if you haven't installed the program from the CD yet. My problem is due to me installing the program over a year ago onto the PC and failing to officially register it with IMSI. They apparently give 365 days of use without registering it.

That kinda pi$$es me off since I bought the program and it should be mine to use without giving them my personal info on every PC I use it from. There's likely something in the fine print of the EULA I agreed to during the program install process that covers this issue but who reads them anyway?
    Milton

Default Dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD
    There's likely something in the fine print of the EULA I agreed to during the program install process that covers this issue but who reads them anyway?
    But of course you read that EULA didn't you? Didn't we all when we "clicked" "Agreed" to say so? We're not dumb - or are we?

Well, a big ol' DUHH! on my part. One of the registration options is "Telephone." I clicked on that, entered my name and product registration code and BadaBing-BadaBoom...Bob's your uncle!
    Milton

Default Thanks again

Thanks again DB.

I will put that down for future reference - seriously.

Its all too invisible until some-one points it out and then it glares at you (me anyway).