Thread: Lincoln IdealArc DC-600

Default Lincoln IdealArc DC-600

I have an opportunity to buy one of these machines, probably pretty cheap, but I have a few questions:

It says that it's "Variable Voltage" or "Constant Voltage" and that it can be used for either stick or MIG.

There's a 3-position output control switch that's lableled "CV(S) Submerged Arc", "CV(I) Innershield" and "VV"

Under a panel on the front is a terminal strip that's apparently used to connect the wire feeder, the decal says "see manual for connections". It also implies that by connecting some sort of switch, the machine can easily be used for either stick or MIG.

My wire feeder is an old Systematics that was connected to an old Lincoln CV power unit and works fine.

Question: Does anyone know what the connections are supposed to be for the wire feeder? I know that it requires 120 VAC for power and it closes a contact when you pull the trigger on the (Tweco) gun. I know where these connections are, as they're simply a standard 120 VAC plug and a twist-lock for the contact closure.

I'll buy a manual if I buy the welder, but I'd like to test it first. There's a decal that's mostly readable for the power connections, 240 or 480 3-phase. My power supply is the latter.

Any help?

TIA: <<Jim>>

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...ualsearch.aspx
    Here Linc manual download site if you have the number you should be able to get the manual
    Believe it or not you will get help on the Hobart site as some body is always asking questions on the red one.
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/index.php?
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

31 and 32 are 115v (32 is hot, fused) 2 and 4 are contactor, 31 and 4 for 120v contactor control.

Default 600 amps

If it is a good price buy it! Be warned though after you get used to using high amp machines the "normal" 135 or 200 amp starts to seem "punney"! I love those 600 amp machines at work! I "get by" with a 300 amp at home.....

mark61

First of all, thanks to all for the help with the DC-600 welder! Unfortunately, it had problems. Here's the Rest Of The Story (tm).

My old Lincoln 450-amp welder crapped out when I last used it this Summer, it was a 1970s vintage unit. I checked with my local fab shop, who I've dealt with for many years, and he said that he had a number of welders in storage and he would sell me one cheap. He had no idea if they worked or not, but thought they probably did, as he had bought some at an auction, where they had come out of service. I offered to take the 3 AirCo units home, check 'em out, and return the ones I didn't want. All 3 had problems of one sort or another, so he gave me the DC-600 to test. It, too, was bad. The last welder he had was a Lincoln R3S-400.

We connected it to power and the wire feeder (a Systematics that I got with the original Lincoln) and it seems to weld OK in a quicky test.

I still have to settle up with the fab shop owner, but am guessing that he'll nick me less than a couple of hundred bucks for the R3S. A Toledo welding supply place has an identical unit that he wants $750.00 for, so I should make out OK.

My usage these days for a wire welder is actually pretty minimal, and I even thought about one of those suitcase MIGs. But, having 480-volt 3-phase power, I have the option of a larger machine, and figured that I could find one for less than the price of a new small welder.

Thanks again for the help, fellas!!

<<Jim>>

That is one of THE best stick welding machines I've ever used. Place I worked at had one. When the weldors had to in house test for CWB or Hydro that was always the machine they'd use if they could.
    The pulp mill up the road from here had one. We burned that one up.
    Was a major rush job on their big truck dump bearings. Two days of 24 hours straight...just gouging to get the thing apart. We ran 1/2" carbon on that thing steady at about 500 amps. It made a huge ball of smoke after a day and a half of that.
    There wasn't another welder on the place that could put out like that one.
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

The DC-600 did look like a heckuva machine. However, according to the manual (thanks, PT!), it was somewhat limited on the bottom end, I think 90 amps was the minimum for stick welding.

My stick welder is one of those old Lincoln motor/generator outfits, the one that's horizontal, with the control box sitting on top. It's rated at something like 450 amps max, and about 70 minimum. It's somewhat dicey to run 3/32" rod if you're welding thin stuff, you need to set the fine current control down quite a ways. I've seen a similar welder that was rated at 650 amps max, and it could only be set to something like 125 amps on the low end.

This machine has a 20 Hp motor driving it, and it's rated at 550 volts, not the 480 that I have. I wired it with #12 wire at the time, so I figure I'm "limited" to "only" maybe 300 amps. I have done some air-arc work at 250 amps and it seemed to work fine over a period of several hours. Most of my welding these days it with 3/32" rod, so it's a bit of overkill. However, it's fun to press the start button and hear the "CLACK" of the contactor, then the wind-up and roar of the motor.

The fab shop guy ended up selling me the R3S-400 for $250.00, a good deal, IMO. I'm hoping that more extensive testing doesn't reveal anything untoward. :-(