Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who owns what power tool brand and where is the company headquartered

Default Who owns what power tool brand and where is the company headquartered

Here is an interesting section on a woodworkers web site. The manufacture section goes in depth about the history of each manufacture. Under each manufacture, you can read more about each of their power tools they offer.
    And for instance who makes the Kmart, Craftsman tool and products

Sears and Craftsman Source Product Code

LISTING OF SOURCES BY SOURCE NUMBER
    For many products, the first three numbers of the Model Number (usually followed by a decimal point) indicate the actual manufacturer of the product. For instance 316.43234 is a cordless drill built by Ryobi.

Milwaukee Power Tool Company is a privately held company located in Hong Kong and is an industry leading manufacture of heavy duty tools used worldwide.
    Along with all the other name brands. Who woulda thunk that Black&Decker owns Dewalt, Porter Cable, Delta and others making it the world's largest tool maker.
    Here is an eye opener on a Saturday morning http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/manufacturers/
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

I learned a few weeks ago that Black and Decker owns Dewalt as the products we sell, we have a control numbers/id's to indicate the products origin and who made it...(I work at Fastenal)

So all the Dewalt tools show up as Black&Deck...

Almost all of the products have multiple control numbers. An example right off the top of my head is Metabo items. All the grinders are made in Germany, so show up as Metabo as a control number, but their various disks for the grinders have about 4 different control numbers to indicate different manufactures and locations made... including Metabo which of course is made in Germany.

Default Made or labeled?

Milwaukee is headquartered in Brookfield, Wisconsin, which is also home to research, new product development, manufacturing support, marketing, sales and information systems. It has modern production facilities in Greenwood, Jackson and Kosciusko, Mississippi; Blytheville, Arkansas.

Milwaukee’s power tool and accessories are also manufactured to its exacting standards in modern facilities in Europe and throughout the world. In 2001, the Milwaukee brand was launched in Australia by Milwaukee’s sister company AEG, located in Winnenden, Germany and was re-launched in Europe and the rest of the world in 2002. The company employs over 2,000 people serving customers globally
    My findings.. Things change as fast as the wind blows.

I really hate things labeled "made in America" when they are ReLabeled in America.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Black and Decker has owned Dewalt since the early 60's . Heck, I can remember when Black and Decker were actually top notch tools, there mouse sanders even though they look cheap are awesome sanders that hold up exceptionally well.

I thought Milwaukee was bought about 2 years ago by a Chinese firm.
    edit:
    Milwaukee Electric Tool Corporation was sold to Techtronic Industries, a Hong Kong-based company, in 2005

Some of the most trusted Harley-parts manufacturers were bought by the Chinese for the "well respected name"..

What a surprise to pull parts from the American labeled box and see a Made in Tawain label.

Can you guarantee jobs done with "unknown" parts? no.. I've seen cast cylinders wear out in less than 500 miles. More of the throw-away now, it's wore out technology forced upon us.
    Excuse me, I farted.

The throw-it-away and get a new one mentality did not include the labor to replace that piece of cr-p Seeing that again and again on ball bearings and plumbing items.

I knew about Dewalt and B&D. My 14.4 dewalt drill needs new batteries. Wouldn't you know a B&D battery fits. At about 1/2 the cost. Plus the B&D battery is cheaper than having the batteries rebuilt. Of course rebuilding them myself is an option. Anybody have experience with that?
    The optimist says the glass is half full, the pessimist says it's half empty. The paranoid in me says somebody put a hole in it.

Remember pessimists are at heart opptomists. They know things can and will get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Doctor
    I knew about Dewalt and B&D. My 14.4 dewalt drill needs new batteries. Wouldn't you know a B&D battery fits. At about 1/2 the cost. Plus the B&D battery is cheaper than having the batteries rebuilt. Of course rebuilding them myself is an option. Anybody have experience with that?
    I did it many years ago with success. I had a drill whose batteries were going bad, so when I found a closeout bargain on another brand of the same voltage, I bought it, disassembled it, and rearranged the cells in my old case. If you're careful, and good at soldering, you can do it that way. It may require extra connectors or wires to be soldered in, because you have to snip off some of the tabs. New cells are probably easier, but at the time I couldn't find any that were cheap enough to be a better deal than a whole new battery.

Thank you, by the way, for the hint on BD batteries, because I also have a 14.4 volt DeWalt drill, and it's about due for new batteries.

There is no way to tell where something is actually made regardless of the part numbers or other control numbers etc. At the most that will indicate where some sort of value was last added to the product which can be as simple as repackaging it from bulk to retail packaging. For instance, pipe fittings made in China may be labeled Made in USA if they are deburred in the US. Similar rules apply to other products but there is not yet any unified set of rules that applies to all products. Up until now in the US the rules have been established on a "one product at a time" basis. New rules are in the process of being adopted which will make it possible to claim country of origin as USA if anything is done that alters the duty class of the product. That can be as easy as changing the packaging, the paint color or, as in the case of plumbing fittings, deburring the part as that puts it in a different duty class.

The new rules will not depend on the value added, only on changes in duty class. That generally means that any amount of assembly will qualify for a different duty class.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Origin now settable to bottom left! All values positive. Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by bruto
    I did it many years ago with success. I had a drill whose batteries were going bad, so when I found a closeout bargain on another brand of the same voltage, I bought it, disassembled it, and rearranged the cells in my old case. If you're careful, and good at soldering, you can do it that way. It may require extra connectors or wires to be soldered in, because you have to snip off some of the tabs. New cells are probably easier, but at the time I couldn't find any that were cheap enough to be a better deal than a whole new battery.

Thank you, by the way, for the hint on BD batteries, because I also have a 14.4 volt DeWalt drill, and it's about due for new batteries.
    I remember a story in a R/C car magazine where the author opened up the rechargeable pack for his drill and replaced the cells in it with matched cells he said it improved his run time, the cells are called sub C cell battery's, you can buy them individually, I don't know what the cost difference would be I didn't run battery powered cars, it might be worth looking in to.
    Mike
    Brandon MI
    2003 MINI Cooper S JCW#249
    1971 Opel GT
    1985 Ford 3910LP