Hybrid View

Default PoorMan Grinder -was small motor shaft repair + pics

Well, I really did want to try to weld it, but I refrained! : D > : D >
    Thanks for the replies.

Here's what I did:

Made a tool post mount for my new Poorman Grinder. : D >

Gound, & ground, & ground (fr .312 to .197) :

Used a narrow wheel at end - trying to control taper toward shoulder:

Pressed on a hard sleeve w/ tailstock ram. Used the 100W light bulb as bearing heater trick (prolly learned here!) and a bit of ice to help:

Trimmed the length w/ cut-off wheel.

Gotta get a that little bearing out now.

New ?? - Sleeve is 8mm OD (.3145), needle bearing is 5/16, am I likely to have to reduce the sleeve?

uute

Default A goodie!!

Nice job and good thinking.

Not to mention your excellent patience - I wonder how many could have waited and thought it through as you did.

Hi oldtiffie,

Ya, it took a while. The shaft was hard, but I think I could have turned it. However, it was tight quarters to get at it w/ my carbide cutters and my big fear was that the steady rest was held by make-do clamping over the gap in my lathe - wasn't sure it would stay put under cutting forces!

uute

Hey! That was a better safe than screwed-up moment for me - may be a first!

is therre any chance you could now bore out where the needle bearing mounts so it would accept a ball bearing ? ? ? ? because the new shaft area is now much softer than it probably was to start out with, it is probably not really sufficent for the needle bearing. . . . (think glass smooth and hard)

or do i need to get more coffee this morning ?

Glad you used a hard sleeve to run in the needle bearing.

You can remove the needle bearing cup by digging out the needles and pulling the shell with a pilot bearing puller.

I am assuming it is pressed in a blind hole.

I don't remember you saying it ran in a needle bearing. Had you said that I never would have suggested using any thing but Belzona to finish it with. There is a grade of Belzona that is harder than steel and has to be ground.

In fact you stated in opening post, "5/16" shaft kind of "flatted" itself on one side in roller bearing. Best option?? :"

A roller bearing is NOT a needle bearing.
    Last edited by Carld; 10-19-2008 at 10:33 AM.
    It's only ink and paper

Hi Carld,

My mistake, I always considered needle bearings just small roller bearings as opposed to ball bearings, but yes - I should have said needle bearing the first time.

This is a hard, commercial sleeve designed to run as inside race for needle bearing.

I do wish I could upgrade to a ball assembly, but as Carl surmised - needle bearing mounts in blind "post" type mount, so no easy way to modify. Good news is there is a bit of "hole" left behind the bearing, perhaps I can "hook" on that.

Thanks again for the help.
    uute