Thread: OT, Stickey Tape and X-Rays

Default OT, Stickey Tape and X-Rays

Researchers are producing X-Rays by Pulling Scotch-Tape from it's roll, that's contained in a Vacuum Chamber.

They claim it was substantial enough for one researcher to image his finger.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture07378.html

I would suppose it would be possible to build a inexpensive wind-up or human powered X-Ray Machine. My hope is that it would be strong enough for X-raying Welds.

I've always wanted a pair of those X-Ray Glasses you'd see in the back of Comic Books.

Tom M.

they also said it appears to have enough power to cause a fusion reaction. maybe it will be Scotch tape that destroys the world and not the CERN supercollider.

andy b.

This is odd... Rise, Machinists. Make a vacuum pump?

Quote Originally Posted by andy_b
    they also said it appears to have enough power to cause a fusion reaction. maybe it will be Scotch tape that destroys the world and not the CERN supercollider.

andy b.
    ROTFLMAO! That would be a neat trick. Kodak used to make 35mm film that was sensitive to UV. I bet they made the stuff for x-rays as well.

rock~
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Reminds me of a problem I read about some years ago in a plastic film making factory. At one point, as the sheet of plastic is being either wound or unwound from a roll, there's a static charge so large that you can't force your way through the doorway into that room. To heck with x-rays- that must have been xyz rays. Some of you cnc guys would probably be interested in that

As I think about it, everything in the vicinity would be getting the same polarity of static charge, so no sparks would be jumping between the operator and the roll room, but the mutual repulsion effect could be enormous. Your hair instead of sticking out all over like a freak show, would be flying out and disappearing. Hmm, maybe that's what happened to me-

I don't suppose one would be wanting to stand in the vicinity of the opposite polarity-

For the film factory, one solution is a radioactive ionizer which uses radioactive decay to ionize the air and provide the static electricity a ground path. We used these at Phillips Semiconductor to keep IC's being placed into a plastic chip tube from nuking themselves with static.

--Cameron