When I introduced my "new" Porter Cable shaper a couple weeks ago, I told that it was missing the upper belt cover that was originally a cast piece. Having built about everything that Dave Gingery dreamed up for his series on building a workshop out of scrap aluminum, I felt like this cover would be a good refresher course. With help from a couple guys over on the yahoo shaper group I found a sketch with the diminsions of the cover and a copy of an original parts manual with a good pic of it, so it looked like not too big a deal--HAH!!
Well it was quite a learning experience -- that it is a bitch of a pattern to try and get out of sand, -- that I had to make a second pattern to correct the many errors I kept finding on the first one, -- that my sand from back in the Gingery days was apparently 'wore out' and to replace it.
Once I got the pattern re-made and the new 'dirt' came in yesterday, I promptly set about to make the 9th attempt to pull the pattern and make a pour!!
The new 'dirt' was amazing! what a difference -- and with the new pattern, I succeeded on the first try, had it completed in about 2 hrs. Got it painted and put in its new home today.
Just coming out of the sand, -- my eyes popped out when I saw this much...it just might come out allright!!
Completely out of the sand and YESSIR shes lookin good!!
Laying side by side, pattern and 'clone' ready to be painted
And here she is residing in its new home --- sure did improve the looks of the little guy...