Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honing oil impregnated bushings?

Default Honing oil impregnated bushings?

Hey guys!
    I'm making some sliders for the new sooper dooper core splitter I'm building.
    They'll have oil impregnated bushings pressed into them
    By the time I get them pressed in...and they are already a bit too small.. I'll have to hone or cut out about .0015 I figure. (Rough figurement )
    What would be the best way to hone these sukkers? They are 1.250 ID.
    Thanks!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Have you pressed them in yet?If not a sharp V-tool in a boring bar and bore them oversized by .002" in the lathe.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Darin..no I never pressed them in yet. They are slightly out of round anyway. They should round back out after I press them into the sleeves. That's why i sorta wanted to hone them afterwards. Just wondering.. I usually dont have good luck with this stuff. Cutter dig in...tear out too much.. Not sharp enough cutters? Too sharp?? I'd hate to bugger them up for such a small amount. Was hopin i could just hone them somehow.
    Russ

Dont hone with any type of abrasives the bushes will pick up any grinding paste and will wear out in a short time. They will have to be reamed to size.
    MBB

And if they dry out, you can re-impregnate by boiling them in oil and allowing them to cool down in the oil.
    Regards Ian.

Thanks guys! Geez.. I never thought of the grit factor...um...sort of a nobrainer isn't it?
    Circlip...good tip on reoiling those...new one on me.
    Now..back to the problem.
    I may try to chuck them up and see if that will make them rounder so i can machine them out.
    Geez...you try to make something so it can use off the shelf parts...then you find out that the hydraulic cylinder rod you are using for guides is oversized by a few thou...yeesh!
    Russ

Another alternative would be an adjustable reamer,the straight blade kind.KBC has them,prolly $50 for one in the 1-1/4" range.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Torker, why not make a chuckable fixture that you can press them into, turn the ID and then press them right out of it into their final home.
    James

Dont hone with any type of abrasives the bushes will pick up any grinding paste and will wear out in a short time. They will have to be reamed to size.
    I don't agree with this. Piston pin holes and pin bushings, which are made of aluminum and bronze respectively, are honed all the time to 0.0005" clearance or less using commercial honing machines (think Sunnen). Thoroughly clean them out with solvent and a brush after honing.
    "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

But you're honing sintered bronze that's impregnated with oil.
    Basically, you're trying to hone a sponge.

In OilLite's application notes, they say to do what Darin recommended: use a sharp tool and bore it open.