Thread: Frustration - good new/bad news

Default Frustration - good new/bad news

Good news is that I finally after all these years got my small/micro machine shop nearly tooled up with the acquisition of a sherline lathe and mill with CNC capacity for each- used and with computers. been out buying a few of the "missing parts" like a 3/8 drill chuck and getting steel to make a few tool holders to change out the tools on the 3/4-16 spindle nose.

Add this to a 9x20 jet lathe I also got used and "throw away", a used throw away drill press I rebuilt, a small bench grinder, my kerosene heater to keep me warm and a great CAD/CAM system and I am on my way to actually making some fun stuff at home.

Bad news is that they arrived a couple of days ago and they will sit on a pallett in my garage because of carpel tunnel and nerve release surgery for at least three more weeks. I feel like that horse with the carrot dangling right in front of his nose JUST OUT OF REACH!!!!!

Anyway, looking forward to getting a few small micro project ideas from the board, Once again good news, this resource.

Thumbs up

Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!!! Hope you're feeling better quick! What a great thing to look forward to! Best of luck Fred

When I was recovering from reattaching a severed leg along with multiple breaks in all extremities (among other things), I felt I needed to have a "reason to be active" (also couldn't stand to just sit), so I bought an old 66 GTO (from a horse pasture for $600 complete, the original 389 had a thrown rod) and restored it along with the prescribed physical therapy. By the time the casts were off my legs, I was ready to drive it out of my Grandfather's basement (where I stayed recuperating) with a fresh th400 (couldn't really manage a clutch for another year or so), a "mildly warmed up" 455, reworked brakes, etc. Doc couldn't believe how fast I was building up after nearly a year in a wheel chair (started the GTO before I was "officially" out of the chair). Point is, sometimes that carrot can be a good thing in cases like this, as long as it doesn't cause you to hurt yourself. OOOooh boy! Did I hurt some nights, but not serious damage, just from getting things going again. Goes without saying that knowing when to stop is important, and I didn't always have enough sense to say "when"...

So, congrats on the new toys. Good luck and enjoy it as soon as you are able, and be careful! Recovery is always a "pain" (sorry, pun intended), but I hope you find yourself back in fighting trim soon!

Keep moving forward you'll get there.I got a shop full of woodworking tools I don't have time for and a home metal shop that is still waiting to be "finished" if there is such a thing.
    I just need one more tool,just one!