Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tangential Toolholder: Practical Self v.s. Emotional Self. A Play in 2 Acts

Hi Geoff,

An elegant design, beautifully machined. Trickier than it looks - I assumed there was a third saw cut underneath to provide flex. My eyeball engineering told me it wouldn't flex enough without this extra cut (even though I didn't see a way to make the cut) - so much for my intuition. Not sure my skills are up to copying it, particularly the square hole for the bit.

Thanks for making the effort to take pictures during what must be a very busy time for you, moving is always a major drain on time and energy.

John

gregl Guest

Thanks. Geoff, for the pix. A well-done holder and good pix, too.

The final scene of ACT II happened today. I'll post ACT II in full as a new thread by the end of the week.

I, too, didn't have the knowhow/facilities to make a square hole so I bought a square hole sleeve and used (98% tin/2% silver) solder to fix it in place.

Geoff

Geoff-
    Did your new tool cure the chatter problems on your Atlas lathe?

-Doozer (former Atlas 10" owner)

Now that you point it out, the sleeve is hinted at in one of your pictures.

Nifty idea, I only considered making the slot with a saw but since an insert can be made in two parts and brazed in place this allows other approaches. Wish I'd thought of that...

John

Default ...What?

Quote Originally Posted by ammcoman2
    I, too, didn't have the knowhow/facilities to make a square hole so I bought a square hole sleeve and used (98% tin/2% silver) solder to fix it in place.

Geoff
    Square drill-bit. Enco's got 'em in all sizes.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com