Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off hand Lathe use: the tobacco pipe

Default Off hand Lathe use: the tobacco pipe

Hey folks, I am the famous originator of the "emergency Go Button" comment.

Ahhh, no laughs. Ok. tough crowd.

Well I thought I would share what I do with my little mini... Yes it's an HF.

I'm a machinist/fabricator/welder by trade and I'm trying to escape, on a day to day basis. That is, I'm always looking to curb my squishy inner artist urges. I have worked a bunch of machines, the last being a Tos w100a in Austria. I have been making smoking pipes for a while as a side job. A very very Side job,

Here is the evidence...simple, yet effective ...........

Beautiful!

Very nice work.
    James Kilroy

That is not a pipe.

Very nice smoking devices!

Did you use the tool in the second picture to bore them?
    And what is the object to the left in the first picture?

Thomas

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back
    - Piet Hein

nice work!

Default Awesome!

Whoa! Cool. My dad sent me this link, and I immediately thought, I know that pipe. That is his first blast. lol. I saw it on Pipemakers Forum. I really like the Shank/stem transition by the way.

I have been a member here forever, but I have just recently been thinking of joining Pipemakers forum to further my new hobby. If you don't mind I will post a couple pics of my newest (second) one.

Another thing, I liked the idea of your tamper so much, I thought I would copy the design if you would be okay with that. In fact I sent my dad a link to the picture a couple days ago because I really like the craftsmanship.

-John
    Does anyone actually read siglines?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Staubo

And what is the object to the left in the first picture?

Looks to me to be the mouthpiece for said pipe........
    RPease

I am going to bump this thread by posting pics... lol

This is my second attempt at a pipe. I still need to sand it down to 600 grit, and I want to polish and wax it also. My brother has smoked it some (it is a gift for him) and says it is really enjoyable. I like it, but I see a lot of room for improvement.

As you can see there are a few flaws in the briar, but at this stage in my pipemaking, I don't think that is what I need to worry about too much. Right now it is just a hobby, but who knows where the future will lead.

P.s.- I really like the Magritte reference, Thomas. lol

-John

I am gonna go ahead and Bump this.

-John

Sorry for the delay in replying, folks....guess I've been in the shop too much lately.

Thanks for the kind words. The thing in the second photo is a tamper, used to, well, tamp the tobacco down as you smoke. The spoon shaped end is for cleaning out ash after a smoke.

I grind my drill bits (some spade and some silver and deming) to get a radius at the bottom of the bowl. That briar is some hard wood. I don't think I'd want to try to drill it with a brass tamper.

And yeah, that is the mouthpiece for the pipe. I took it apart for the picture so you can see the mortise and tenon.

-------ShedMachinist.....sure you can borrow my design...just don't go getting rich with without writing me into your will. It was quite a bit of work, actually, for a simple tamper, and I don't think there's anyway to make these very profitably. But I'd love to see your take on it.

-loose