Thread: Cats at work

Default Cats at work

These Cats were working tearing down an old building in downtown Phoenix today. Detroit may be hurting, but it's nice to see some Peoria machinery still in demand, for jobs like this. They are still made in Peoria, aren't they?

Allan

Those are but theres "offshore" Caterpillar made in South America and rumored Asia..........frown, not sold in USA but international markets

Hey Caterpillars Nascar brand was Toyota, I don't hold out any hope or surprise anymore

My 1990 Cat D3C was made at the Mitsubishi plant in Japan. Almost every part on it has "JAPAN" cast in to it somewhere except for the bolts which say "CAT" on them.
    Mark Hockett

Mark beat me to it..I've ran a lot of Cats. The last few years I did it...they where all made in Japan....at least the smaller ones I was operating at the time... Hi- drive D-4 and D-5 skidding cats. My favourite small cats ever...
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

I think a number of Cats are also made in Belgium.

I just sold the little Cat serial number book I had which referenced serial numbers from the Best/Holt days until present, so can't look it up - but Cat has been manufacturing machinery world-wide for many, many years (50 years?). As an example (from memory) D4s' were made in Australia, Japan, France, Brazil?, UK? and ?? Some, like D3s' were (from memory) only made in Japan. Crawlers were and are just one of a huge array of machinery the world's largest heavy equipment manufacturer makes. And in recent years Cat seems to have been buying up many other companies - take the Perkins engines as an example - also built world-wide.
    By the way, Peoria is just one Cat location in the US, how about Aurora (I drove through the Cat plant there with diggers forming an arched gateway), I bet there are others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hockett
    Almost every part on it has "JAPAN" cast in to it somewhere except for the bolts which say "CAT" on them.
    Don't loose any,the're $10 apiece

No kidding,I bought 16 ea. 9/16 x 1-1/2 "Cat" bolts which hold the track sprocket on a small hoe,$9.75ea from Cat.Only difference except for the un-obtainium alloy was the extra tall heads.

Worth it though,those are some good bolts.
    Last edited by wierdscience; 12-13-2008 at 12:07 AM.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

One of my favorites,rock has got to be over 8 tons-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xjwj...next=1&index=2
    I just need one more tool,just one!