Thread: Master link wire

Default Master link wire

On some roler chain there is a wire used in the master link looks like a S when bent, it always brakes when you remove it, so was woundering just what kind of wire it is and were to find some.

Depends on the size and type of the roller chain.

PTO chain like they use on a tow truck is usually annealed Iron wire, or Mechanics wire. It's soft and usually does break when you flex it a few times.

Most of the older auto parts stores have a few rolls on hand. If memory serves, it's available in several diameters and sometimes you can get stainless.... Most of the time, when I worked in the shop, we used .036" MIG welding wire...Probably better than Mechanics wire...but, it was always available...

Never though of mig wire, although mine will be too small (.045 ). Its like a big bike chain only used as a feeder and if it fales 12 48" steel bar and 54" of chain can go throu a $250,000 machine. Not an a good thing.

Default Wire

Have you considered Stainless TIG wire? It's available in many diameters in 3' lengths. Probablly not suitable for reuse due to metal fatigue, but cheap to keep around.
    Big Bob

Big Bob I'll give that a try.