Thread: bearings

Default bearings

two questions

1 are all tapered roller bearings thrust bearings or are only some types thrust bearings.

2 does a bigger tapered roller thrust bearing, by dia., handle more thrust than a smaller one .

Default bearings

loose nut, tapered roller bearings are designed to take both radial and thrust loads if properly preloaded and apposing each other the amount they will take is all relevant to size contact angle and amount of rolling element surface area. timkin has some good info on there site regarding loading and sizing. just my .02 good luck

1. Yes, all are thrust rated.
    2. In general, that is a correct statement, unless the roller element is shorter, which Millwright reffered to as surface area.
    You can see this easily when one bearing is shorter in height..AKA "cup length "

Rich

There are two types,the most common will handle both radial and thrust loads(automotive wheel bearing as example).There is a type of these where the angle of the cone is much lower.

There is also a thrust type where the tapered rollers lay flat between two races.

http://www.timken.com/en-us/products...s/default.aspx
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Default Self-aligning bearings

Let's not forget spherical self-aligning thrust bearings which, provided that there is adequate axial loading, have a significant radial as well as axial load capacity.

http://www.timken.com/en-us/products...s/default.aspx

These, like all self-aligning roller/ball bearings are very "forgiving" as regards errors in alignment and have "saved" me on a few occasions.