Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gib screw spacing too wide?

I don't see anything different with Bob's cross slide either. The 6" was much smaller.

The 12" Craftsman lathe was basically the 10" Atlas lathe raised one inch. The headstock and tailstock castings were raised at the base. The apron and cross slide were not changed, the additional inch of height was achieved by raising the height of the compound casting.

The power cross feed was available on some lathes and not others, as was the tapered or babbit bearing headstock.
    Jim H.

Independent principality of Sinquefieldia (formerly Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by JCHannum
    The 12" Craftsman lathe was basically the 10" Atlas lathe raised one inch. The headstock and tailstock castings were raised at the base. The apron and cross slide were not changed, the additional inch of height was achieved by raising the height of the compound casting.
    That would explain the weird "tower" that contains the t-slot..... That just looked "wrong", and I wondered why it was done, thinking it was to save a few ounces of cast iron..... and in a way, I guess it was.

Ops. Yeah it looks the same to me too. Looking at the picture in post #8, the cross slide looked short. It's obvious now that it has four gibs. The compound is the same as mine. It overhangs when centered. I usually run with the front (toward center line) and center gib on the V. The locking screw was moved to the center on the compound. (Shows front in pic.) I moved it to the center so it's a more positive lock no matter where the compound is located.

Sorry for the confusion. Mine that is.

By the way, my A/C is ~1939 Deluxe. That could explain the wippers and power cross feed.
    Last edited by CCWKen; 12-22-2008 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen
    *** By the way, my A/C is ~1939 Deluxe. That could explain the wippers and power cross feed.
    Mine is about the same vintage, but there's nothing Delux about it

By the way, it was your "Cleaning an old lathe" thread from a couple years ago that encouraged me to try this resto. Nice job, sir, and I think the chips and oil make that pretty Ford-blue paint look even better!