Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a MT5-5C adapter

Default Looking for a MT5-5C adapter

Hi all,

I am looking for a Morris Taper #5 to a 5C collet adapter. Anyone know where I can purchase such an animal?

I want to use my 5C collets (which I already own) in my lathe which has a MT5 spindle.

Thanks,

Tim

Royal might, but they aren't gonna be cheap. Why not pick up a piece of #5 morse taper tooling and use that as the start of your adaptor. I am going to assume that you are not in aproduction environment so even a soft 5C adaptor would last quite awhile.
    The optimist says the glass is half full, the pessimist says it's half empty. The paranoid in me says somebody put a hole in it.

Remember pessimists are at heart opptomists. They know things can and will get worse.

I got hold of a #5MT live centre that had trashed bearings and machined an adaptor from it. Was fairly hard but carbide tooling did the trick. Used a piece of DOM tubing for the drawbar. Happy camper.

Geoff

Here's someone who rolled their own:

http://www.kinzers.com/don/MachineTools/collet_closer/

- Bart
    Bart Smaalders
    http://smaalders.net/barts

Smile

Parts like that are not normally found in tool catalogs . find a used machinery dealer who handles used tooling . Might find something their.

Thanks Guys,

I was afraid that was what you were going to say. I guess that now is as good a time as any to try my hand at cutting a taper (or two).

I had looked at the supply houses that I normally deal with (enco, grizzley, cdco etc.) but no luck.

here we go!!

Tim

I recently made one for my Sheldon. MT5 short to 5C. I used 12L14.

The proccess I used was as follows. I rough cut the stock to length and cut the inside dimensions and 10 degree taper in a three jaw chuck. Next I made a very close fitting gage that does double duty as an arbor to insure a concentric match between the ID and OD.

It turned out well. Once I get some more appropriate material in the shop I'll make a second one. I'm afraid I'll drop the one made out of 12L14 and add .010 to it's runout.
    Brett Jones...

The optimist says the glass is half full, the pessimist says it's half empty. The paranoid in me says somebody put a hole in it.

Remember pessimists are at heart opptomists. They know things can and will get worse.

Default Lms?

Quote Originally Posted by tmc_31
    Hi all,

I am looking for a Morris Taper #5 to a 5C collet adapter. Anyone know where I can purchase such an animal?

I want to use my 5C collets (which I already own) in my lathe which has a MT5 spindle.

Thanks,

Tim
    Tim,

I notice that you said "buy" and did not say (or exclude) "make".

Why not consider this 5C collet chuck and an adaptor from Little Machine Shop (USA) which will make both the MT5 and the usual 5C draw-bar irrelevant?
    http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ory=-199764519

Further, that 5C collet chuck can be fitted directly to your mill table. It can be fited directly your rotary table andso it becomes even more useful as a "Spindexer" (but a lot more versatile and more "solid") as well as a lot of other stuff. I bought a similar ER-32 collet chuck etc. from LMS for my lathe and mill and I am very satisfied. I have mine with about 0.003/0.005" clearance between my lathe flange (your adaptor) and the collet chuck and just "nip" the three M8 bolts and use a good dial indicator to tap the job in the collets "true" with minimum run-out then tighten up. It eliminates all misalignment and eccentricity between successive fitting from the lathe spindle axis to the job - no problems with multiple taper errors. I am in Australia and so the transport/postage costs were pretty high, but I am very satisfied with collet chuck, the cost and value for money.

I have heard that Grizzly sells them as a replacement part for their collet closers. You would have to call them as they aren't in the catalogs.

http://grizzly.com/products/Collet-C...or-G0554/H5948
    Jon Bohlander
    My PM Blog