Thread: Rare earth magnets.

Default Rare earth magnets.

I recently purchased four 1/8" rare earth magnets (from Radio Shack, two packages of two) Like a dummy, I lost them on the living room carpet, thanks to an unplanned sneeze. Well, I finally found them today ( a week later).
    All four were neatly stacked together, with a death grip on the carpet.
    I finally got them out of the carpet, and pulled them apart. No magnetism...
    I checked them against a more conventional magnet, and the magnet wouldn't even pick them up...almost like stainless steel...
    What happened? did they cancel each other out? Or did they lose their magnetism (in a week?)

Right now, they're sitting on my desk, four little non-magnetic hockey pucks...
    Anybody got any ideas?
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Maybe you found those 4 little 1/8" pieces of stainless steel that you forgot you lost, and the magnets are still waiting for be found?

Have you checked them on anything besides another magnet? Do they still stick to each other? I once made the mistake of sticking a neodymium magnet on one of my wife's fridge magnets -- it instantly killed the flexible magnet's strength.

If they had a death grip on the carpet wasn't that "magnatism" that held them there. Your saying once you parted them the magnatism was gone? I assume you tried flipping them around, they have poles like all other magnets.

Take 'em back to radio shack tell them they broke and you want replacements, then stop at the pharmacy and pick up some claratin so this doesn't happen again

I tried everything. I still have four tiny grey hockey pucks that won't pick up a paperclip or even be attracted to another magnet....
    I already have Claratin, Dweight, Now it turns out I didn't need them, anyway.

Wow- never heard of such a thing. I order mine free Lee Valley and the packaging seems to stick to the automated equipment as the cardboard is always torn up!

All mine are still going strong- some are years old

OK, went to Radio Shack, again. Didn't even try to return the magnets..
    I bought four more. THEY won't even pick up the original four magnets, but they work just fine on everything else.

You need to find another brand!!!

Try eBay, that's where I got mine.

Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

This one should make you really attractive lol.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...382009516A1205