Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any pictures....

Default Anyone have any pictures....

First time long time. Glad to be a member.

Looking for some pictures of the Harbor Freight Micro Lathe, and the Mini Lathe, pics that can give me a sense how big or small these things are. Maybe a pic or two of each next to a ruler, or a soda can?

Regards

Default try here

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Default.htm

Lots of pics if you have a dig around.
    Neil B.

Great site, but I've looked through it many times. I've scoured the internet as well...lots of pics, but none that give me a sense of size.
    Last edited by Sportandmiah; 01-20-2009 at 01:09 PM.

tony ennis Guest

What do you mean by size?

For physical dimension, you know the swing is 7", so measure the drawing and scale appropriately. For weight, that's probably on the Grizzley site.

You could try those interest groups that are linked from the site that NSB mentioned. They should be able to help.......
    RPease

I'm looking at the typical inkjet printer sitting on my desk. Put two next to each other, that's roughly the size of my 7x10.

The micro-lathe (4x5) is about the size of a shoebox. First time I saw one, I thought "holy $#@! that's tiny!" You could easily put it on the kitchen table, do some turning, and put it back in a tupperware box on top of the fridge, assuming of course that your spouse let you. Supposedly they sell a ton of them in Japan since almost no one can afford dedicated shop space. The Sherline is longer, but in terms of mass I'd say it seems similar.

I've never made chips on either, so can't help you on how it might work. There is a dedicated Yahoo group for the micro-lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportandmiah
    First time long time. Glad to be a member.

Looking for some pictures of the Harbor Freight Micro Lathe, and the Mini Lathe, pics that can give me a sense how big or small these things are. Maybe a pic or two of each next to a ruler, or a soda can?

Regards
    I completely screwed up, I meant Micro MILL and Mini MILL, both from Harbor Freight. I've seen hundreds of pictures, but I can't tell the size without anything to reference them to, maybe a beer can or a ruler. And by size, I mean how big it the piece of machinery. I just can't visually size it up without something familiar in size next to it. Trying to figure how much room I will need in my shop.

Regards
    Last edited by Sportandmiah; 01-20-2009 at 04:28 PM.

here's a pic of my old mini mill and mini lathe on a bench.
    I miss those little machines!

Steve

I have a couple of HF 7x10's and 7x12. Approximation from memory, the foot print is about 8" front to back and about 24" left to right and the macine stands about 12" tall from the desktop to the top of the headstock. They do not take much room and can be set aside if not bolted down (less than 100lbs). If you have a bit more room, consider the HF 8x12. Much more rigid and a better machine, and if you wait and look at HF adds you can buy the 8x12 for not much more. 7x10s are just not comfortable to work with because of the small work aread between centers. least go for a 7x12. Also, 7x14s are becoming very common now a days DavidH
    Last edited by heidad01; 01-20-2009 at 05:10 PM.
    DH

Here is a photo of my Grizzly mini-lathe and HF mini-mill in my former basement shop. I bought the HF mill for the R-8 spindle. Its on a standard Craftsman workbench and there is an Enco catalog on the shelf above it for size reference. I think the bench is right around 60 inches long.

I hope this helps. Of course, actual dimensions and (more importantly) work envelopes are available on the web sites of the various companies that make these. For a given specified work size, they are all pretty similar (ie the 7x10's are not quite comparable with 7x14's, but any two makers of the 7x10 make units that are about the same physical dimesions.

Paul
    Paul Carpenter
    Mapleton, IL