Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some low-grade shop projects...

Default Some low-grade shop projects...

One of my favorite things to see on boards like this is when folks post projects that they are working on or have completed. Simple or complex does not matter, I enjoy seeing them, always a source of inspiration. So I thought I would post a couple of small things I have recently completed.

Last year, I had one of my shotgun barrels fitted with interchangeable choke tubes. The primary reason was so that I could use a rifled choke tube in it for deer hunting. Where I live, deer season is shotgun only but rifled shotgun barrels and chokes are allowed. So I try it out, it shoots great. After deer season is over, I decide to try switching to an extra full turkey type choke to see how that shoots. I find that despite a dab of never-seize that I put on the rifled tube, it is just not coming loose. Yuck. For any not familiar with these, the tube has 2 notches in the end for loosening/tightening, like this:

The standard "tool" for this is to use a quarter to engage the slots. I try that and it won't budge. I grab the quarter with pliers, try again, and bend the quarter. So I do what any self respecting HSM-type would do, I set out to make a tool. Using a billet of the finest aircraft grade surgical stainless steel (= small cutoff of 1" round 303 from my box-o-stuff), this is what I ended up with:

This is how it fits in the choke:

Worked like a champ and everyone who I show it to, wants one.

And on a totally unrelated note, here is a shot of my "defibrillator coffee table", the only one of its type that I am aware of. Yes, that is a real (but old) defib, I only made the little brass feet that cap the bottom of the legs. The legs are made from textile loom spindles for a slight touch of "steampunk" look. The brass feet are threaded, and some 3/8-16 all-thread rod runs from them through the spindles into threaded holes that I put on the bottom of the machine. There is a glass top for it, not shown in the pic. I made this as a gift for my oldest daughter and her husband. She is a cardiac nurse, her husband is a graphic artist. The spindle legs were his idea. Textile was once THE industry around here, so there is a bit of local tie-in there. Artist types think like that, I guess. have a look:

PS - Before I panic anyone into warning me how dangerous such a machine is, I know. I work around HV stuff for a living. In fact this machine functioned when I got it, I emasculated it by removing the HV transformer and the 16 microfarad, 7.5KV(!) capacitor that was in it, and I chopped the cord off. I have to think that cap and transformer could be used to make something cool...

Well, I don't have any dealings with guns, but I like your tool. I made something similar for a lefty nut on my tiny Sanford surface grinder's spindle.

BUT, it does my heart good (in a metaphorical way, of course) to see that coffee table. Having once come "this close" to picking up an old Linotype as a lawn ornament, I appreciate the quiet good taste. . .
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

Default My latest project (still unfinished)

alanganes,

I enjoyed your project. I have an old analog oscilloscope that needs that kind of artist touch.

Here's my latest attempt at machining. It's a conversion of an old dewalt battery drill to a power feed for my minimill. It's been thrown together as a proof of concept so far, and it works. I am now planning and building a final version for use.

Dwayne
    "When it comes to paradigms ... shifts happen" - Alain Rossman

Here's a pic of QC toolholder I made from a set of plans by Rudy Kouhoupt in the 2002 HSM magazine. His plans were for a 9" SB lathe that I scaled up to fit my 16" SB lathe. I've made a couple changes since I started to use this, most were minor. One thing I have done is replace the top hold down nut with a lever so as to make for one less wrench I have to have handy.

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people.

Last night I more or less finished wiring the Nichols horizontal, so now the VFD is mounted and enclosed, and wired to the original factory star/stop buttons. I added a speed pot to the top of the switch box, since being enclosed, the original is not easily accessible.

So I spent about ten minutes whipping up a nice milled knob to go on the shaft of the pot:

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

How about some good old fashioned hacksaw, drill and file work; A radial arm saw table clamp bracket:

The one on the bottom is mine. Rona didn't have the right size roll pin, but it does the trick.

Nicely done projects everyone! I have to agree I enjoy the project posts more than anything.

alanganes

That lathe in the background looks suspiciously like my Jet 1024. How do you like it? I notice you've had to replace the switch on yours, too.

Roger

Nice choke wrench Alan. Here's my adjustable height cutting tool holder for my Craftsman 12x42. Much easier than fussing with the old rocker lantern toolpost:

Last edited by Bob Farr; 01-22-2009 at 07:57 AM.

Well I'll take your "finest aircraft grade surgical stainless" and raise you to "Titanium Locking Knobs" on swtsmbo's counted cross-stitch frame.

Regards Ian
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.