Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some low-grade shop projects...

Quote Originally Posted by DENedbalek
    alanganes,

I enjoyed your project. I have an old analog oscilloscope that needs that kind of artist touch.

Here's my latest attempt at machining. It's a conversion of an old dewalt battery drill to a power feed for my minimill. It's been thrown together as a proof of concept so far, and it works. I am now planning and building a final version for use.
    Dwayne
    Can you post some close-up shots of your Z-axis scale mounting? I like!

Quote Originally Posted by alanganes
    *** Bob Farr, that is an awesome upgrade for a rocker toolpost! That is one if those things that makes me say "Why didn't I think of that?!" *** -Al
    Thanks Al, but it wasn't my idea either. I'm very fortunate to be a member in a local metalworking club where the skilled tradesmen generously share their experience with rookies like me. That tool post design was suggested by another member. All I did was make some minor adjustments to suit the materials I had on hand.

I frequently pick up tips and tricks from the inventiveness of other projects, so I REALLY like threads like this. Keep it going!

Post Mill DRO Z-Axis

isaac338
    Can you post some close-up shots of your Z-axis scale mounting? I like!
    Here's a couple of pics:

Dwayne
    "When it comes to paradigms ... shifts happen" - Alain Rossman

Quote Originally Posted by DENedbalek
    Here's a couple of pics:

Dwayne
    Dwayne,

Thanks for that. I like how you've done it, very simple and effective. Mind if I borrow the idea?

Cheers,

Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Farr View Post
    Nice choke wrench Alan. Here's my adjustable height cutting tool holder for my Craftsman 12x42. Much easier than fussing with the old rocker lantern toolpost:

Hi Bob: I'd like to replicate your Lantern Tool Post, could you please send me a picture of the bottom screw shown in the base plate, attaching to the holder body?

Thanks

Jorge

Quote Originally Posted by 1george View Post
    Hi Bob: I'd like to replicate your Lantern Tool Post, could you please send me a picture of the bottom screw shown in the base plate, attaching to the holder body?

Thanks

Jorge
    Welcome to HSM. I don't think you will receive a reply from Bob since his last post was on 01-31-2014, 04:34 PM.

My first recent project was a rack on wheels to hang strops, shackles, lifting chains etc; they had all been lying around cluttering the place up, now they're all in one place. I made it out of 2" steel box section. 4 casters on the bottom, the whole thing's almost 3m tall and there's a lifting ring right on top so I can pick the whole thing up.

The other project was a trolley for an oxygen bottle, a propane bottle, a 5Kg fire extinguisher and all my various torches, fluxes, brazing rods etc. Again, stuff was scattered everywhere, now it's all in one place.

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
    ...a 5Kg fire extinguisher and all my various torches, fluxes, brazing rods etc...
    I don't recall ever seeing a custom welding cart with a place for a fire extinguisher. Excellent idea - I hope you started a trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing a custom welding cart with a place for a fire extinguisher. Excellent idea - I hope you started a trend.
    Ditto on that, what a great idea.