Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enco Surface Plates and Shipping

Default Enco Surface Plates and Shipping

From searching the archives, it seems that Enco doesn't do free shipping on surface plates. How much does the truck shipping end up costing and what is the delivery time like compared to UPS shipping from Enco? When they say "Truck Shipping" in the catalog do they mean that a semi is going to pull up in front of my house just to drop off a 12x18 surface plate?

Thanks,
    Stuart
    Stuart de Haro

I am pretty sure the smallest 2 sizes are UPSable. But I'm not certain.

I'm pretty sure UPS has a 70lb limit on packages, especially on residential delivery....If I were to order a surface plate, I'd check to see how much it weighs before ordering. UPS will deliver items over 70lbs but there's a surcharge. When I worked at a parts store, we had to use regular commercial shipping if we wanted something like an engine block or a transmission...but, we did use UPS for almost everything else.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

I just received a 12 x 18 via UPS

Kerry

12x18 qualifies for free shipping. I just bought one last month. Bigger ones go by truck.

If you have a loading dock, it comes on a semi. For residential (a surcharge for that) it comes on a smaller box truck. 16 or 20 foot usually. You have to unload it. You can get liftgate for another surcharge. Then they put it on the ground for you. Base shipping should be around $50 unless you're getting a 1-ton item. Another $50 for residential and another for liftgate. I never got a truck shipment from enco in specific, but from many others. You have to call and ask for the rates. They vary. Could be anywhere from $50 on up, depending on weight and carrier and etc.

I've been toying with getting a 3x4' plate for a while now. They are soo damn cheap at Enco. Anyways, you can go through the whole checkout process to the point where it tells you how much truck shipping is.

Does anyone know if they will drop it off at a depot?

At some point a few years ago, either Enco, or Rutland had a crazy sale on all sizes of plates AND free shipping. I should have jumped on that.

Stuart,

As others have said, you should be able to get the 12x18 delivered for free via ups.

I plan on picking one up myself once I get the mill up and running.

Last year I ordered three 12 x 18 plates from Enco using the free ship code. Next day I got a call from the order desk, and was asked, "Since the total weight exceeds the UPS limit, do you mind if we use three separate boxes so you'll get the free shipping?"

Recently, I see the "truck shipping" sign on the catalog listing for surface plates, and I assumed it meant they quit the deal. I ordered and received free shipping on a 9 x 12, so I'm glad to see the deal is still there for the smaller granites.
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Ford
    I ordered and received free shipping on a 9 x 12, so I'm glad to see the deal is still there for the smaller granites.
    going to use it as a lapping plate for small parts? I've noticed a lot of the small ones get used for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bob Again
    12x18 qualifies for free shipping. I just bought one last month.
    Well that's perfect. Thanks guys!
    Stuart de Haro