Thread: Lathe Lifting?

Hybrid View

Default Lathe Lifting?

Hello all,
    I have a 13x40 lathe (purchased used) that is to end up in my basement, requiring lifting from the headstock end using a hoist. The hoist/lathe will then be moved through a 36" wide door onto some ramps before being lowered about five feet to the basement, the lathe just fitting between the ramps. The attached picture from the machine's operating manual shows an eyebolt lifting arrangement that looks perfect for moving. I contacted the factory and they said the eyebolt assembly is not available. I wondered if anyone has built anything like this? I am concerned about clamping something around the bed that would damage the ways.

http://s600.photobucket.com/albums/t...340Lifting.jpg

Thanks,
    Mark

It should be pretty simple to build, but you may not need one.

You can use a lifting sling around the bed, one at the headstock end and one at the tailstock end. The soft sling will prevent damage to the lathe. Otherwise, you can use chain but place a block of wood between the chain and the ways to protect them when they sinch tight. (Also make sure you have chain that is rated for lifting!)

I have what appears to be the same lathe, a Jet GHB1340A (by virtue of similar gearbox control placement). Same is said for the Grizzly G9036. My Jet came equipped with the hoisting eye hardware you seek. I wouldn't be surprised if the Grizzly did too.

If you can't find a part number with this information, let me know, I'll check my Jet manual. The Grizzly manual is on-line and similar, but better more comprehensive. Very substantial eyebolt and plates.

I don't think I'd put a sling around the bed -- too much danger of bending the leadscrew. Lift up through the center of the bed.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Thats the way you move a 10EE as well. Put a chain or sling round the closest rib between the ways to the headstock and use the tailstock and carriage to balance. Works well. With a gantry crane one man can move the lathe around.

Hi Mark,

Although you PM'ed me for information, I'll post here for the benefit/curiosity of others.

The Grizzly manual makes no mention of the lifting apparatus and the Jet manual merely refers to a "lifting eye" and "lifting plates". No Jet part number is given.

The system is described as two plates, co-joined by a large threaded rod which runs through the horizontal centerline of the bed. At the top of the rod is a threaded coupled, into which is threaded a large eye bolt.

Apparently, the balance point of the lathe (carriage set at the tailstock end) is where the bed tapers in height as you move away from the headstock. To deal with this, a roughly 6" X 6" X 3/4" plate, equipped with 2 ea. 1" X 1" X 2.5" welded stanchions on adjacent corners, picks up 4 points on the bottom of the bed. The plate has a threaded hole on center for the lifting rod. the rod then goes through another 3/4" plate which straddles the upper ways, held tight to the ways by the tightened coupling.

Picture below:
    IMG_0224.JPG

Can't seem the post the image, sorry........