Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Bad weather in Britain

Default OT Bad weather in Britain

John, I see the snow has come to England. I guess I will have to google the world weather to see how this global warming is causing havick world wide. I know the weather here has been the worse we have had in years. I sure hope the global warming don't get any worse as we could easily go into an ice age with all the global warming we are having here.
    It's only ink and paper

It is interesting that in this arctic sea ice graph you can see the three major arctic air blasts that came down to the lower latitudes since November were replaced by warmer air from down here that inhibited slightly the formation of arctic ice. http://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/i...timeseries.png

If that warmer air that went north radiates that heat into space it will produce a net cooling effect, otherwise it's just moving around the heat that's already here and there will be a null effect in terms of global warming. Since the sun is not shining up there there's a good chance that a good amount of that heat will be lost to space.

The volume of arctic ice forming to date is about 2 weeks displaced in time from the average - not a big deal in geologic time. And the total ice coverage that fails to form is at the lower latitudes and I find that to be not terribly important, too.

The claim that first year ice "doesn't count" is hyperbole since all ice up there was built of first year ice at one time. Anyway, politics and humor aside I like watching the science of it in action.

And the pundits reckon it's going to get worse until ------- Wednesday -------Arghhhhhhhhhhh ----- THE DAY AFTER TERMORRER !
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Yup we're not equipped to deal with any amount of snow down here in Southern England. We rarely see more than a couple of inches and most years not even that. The whole place has ground to a halt - buses & trains are not running in London at all apart from the underground and traffic news was one constant report of roads blocked due to accidents. It's been so long since we had a bit of snow that many people have never driven in it.

cheap insurance has a high excess payment -
    The SE has gone cheap on the winter weather preparation
    London is paying the excess

Norman Atkinson Guest

Default OT- Bad Weather

Northern Scotland has been getting snow since before Christmas.

Winter has come again as a Surprise to the English!

Norman

It only takes a couple of leaves on the line to stop our trains

Snow really fouls things up

No Dave, the leaves act like Harry Potters cloak, they make the trains invisible.

And it's the wrong TYPE of snow that screws them up

Regards Ian
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

"It only takes a couple of leaves on the line to stop our trains

Snow really fouls things up "

Lucas electric's ?

Oh no wait, sorry, brush electrics.

Your supposed to EXTERNALLY cool the traction motor's,
    and ussually taking the air from ABOVE the truck, sometime's
    from the nice warm car.....Keep the blowers running all the time,
    and the water/snow don't come in (as much)...

Also, use sand,...on the rail, not the motor.

tnx
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Carld
    I know the weather here has been the worse we have had in years. I sure hope the global warming don't get any worse as we could easily go into an ice age with all the global warming we are having here.
    Last year, Russ Limbaugh was insisting that there absolutely, positively was Global Warming, but that it wasn't caused by humans -- it was part of a natural 1,500 year solar cycle. Now, after two snow storms, he's completely flipped, and saying that of course there's no Global Warming.

Ignorance is bliss

Global Temperature Trends: 2008 Annual Summation

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/2008/

Calendar year 2008 was the coolest year since 2000, according to the Goddard Institute for Space Studies analysis [see ref. 1] of surface air temperature measurements. In our analysis, 2008 is the ninth warmest year in the period of instrumental measurements, which extends back to 1880 (left panel of Fig. 1). The ten warmest years all occur within the 12-year period 1997-2008.

NOAA, and several EU equivalents, came to the exact same conclusions.

But please, keep on polluting as much as you want -- it's just a liberal conspiracy

Last edited by lazlo; 02-02-2009 at 03:49 PM.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."