Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick sign in

Post Quick sign in

Hi y'all
    Just found this group and though I'd try it out.
    Been working out in the Gulf States for the last 12 years and currently just been moved to the West Midlands in England.
    I'll be here for about a three years or so before being moved on again.
    I'd like to get setup with a small workshop while I'm here and would like to meet any Brit's in the area who could help me do that.
    I've always been interested in steam traction and last week I went to a steam rally up in Pickering in Yorkshire. That was some impressive meeting.
    I have never seen anything like this when I was stateside, there were at least 50 of the big ornate showmans engines all in steam at the same time plus many more of the ordinary traction engines and rollers.
    I've made some enquries and there are about 15 to 20 companies doing kits for these engines so at the moment I'm spoilt for choice.
    So if there are any Brits that can give me any advise on either machinery or models I'd apreciate it.

Bill.

You're in the "cradle of model engineering" now; the Brits started it. LOok up TEE Publishing Co. http://www.fotec.co.uk/mehs/tee/
    This guy http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~chrish/homepage.htm also has loads of UK links to model stuff.

And go to the Science Museum in London and see all the models!
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Digger I am in Scotland there are a few oldtimers like myself who are in the Uk Ragarsed Raglan(in your area) and John Stevenson (who is off at the moment due to high work load ) but hearty welcome I am sure we all will help you if we can take care Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

SWG
    Thanks for the links I've looked them and there is some neat stuff.
    Theres some nice equipment listed on that guy Chris's advert site and it looks very cheap when compared to US Ebay prices.
    Alistair,
    Thanks for the intro.
    One of the Brits I spoke to today also mentioned this Stevenson guy but didn't have any more info.
    Is he still around?

I went up to a steam rally at Astle Park today to look at the model traction engines.
    Met some nice guys and had a good chat about models and building. Some really dedicated guys at this game over here.
    Still spoilt for choice

Bill.

Bill

You may want to pick up "Model Engineer" and "Model Engineers Workshop" as they are far cheaper in the UK than here in Canada! Both have fabulous photography and some truly wonderful models. Well worth looking into.

You picked a wonderful hobby!

Dave

Dave,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I managed to pick a stack of 1960 and 1970 Model Engineers up from a stall at Astle Park on Saturday. There is a large book shop near where I'm currently working, W M Smith or similar, I'll try there this week.

I did a web search on Saturday night and so far found about 7 or 8 people in the UK who do traction engine kits. I've fired off some emails and we'll see what happens.
    At the moment I'm still looking for machinery but not too hard as I'm not setup with fixed accomodation as yet, still currently in one of the company's leased houses. Once I know where I'm going to be based I'll see about getting a house and sorting a workshop out.
    So far people I'm met have been very helpful and really interested, I have had lots of offers to help wth houses, moving etc but so far none of the people other that the engine owners at Astle Park and Pickering are involved with this sort of thing.
    I may place an advert in that guy Chris Heapies column for some local help.

Bill

Bill,

Welcome to the Cradle of the Industrial Revolution.

I'm on the 'Dane Law' boundary! (between Warwickshire and Leicestershire) Have you got an email address where I can contact you?

There's a great steam show coming up this week end at Ashby in Leicestershire. Usual Full size traction engines, tractors, stationary engines, steam wagons, tool stands! Later on in September watch out for the 'Caldecote Steam Party' (and I do mean PARTY!) just off the A5 north of Nuneaton.

RR

RR

You guys get all the fun....

Ain't that the truth. I visited the UK in 2000 for a month and would like to return. My ancestors came from Castle Cary in Somerset.

Bill, Stevenson said he was taking some time off, but he is still posting over on the chaski site some. You might cacth him over there. J.R.